Knitting Newbie Fail

By Notagirlymom

Ever since I turned 30 last September, I’ve slowly started becoming Mother Earth incarnate. I’ve started doing yoga and I’ve started crafting.

I recently got into knitting and like a lot of first time knitters, I made some  mistakes.

Like this one.

knit-1

The Knitting That Ate Tokyo

I was following the instructions (sort of) for a ‘messenger-style bag’ I’d found in The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Knitting. I cast on the number of stitches it asked for (28) and away I went. But somehow..and I’m still not sure how..I kept getting more stitches. They multiplied like rabbits until I couldn’t fit any more onto my needles. Uh oh.
So I bound off and looked at my creation.
knit-2

Close up of the Knitting That Ate Tokyo

I had a massive..thing. I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Then my brain went, “Wait. It was supposed to be a messenger bag right? You can still make a bag out of it!”
So I grabbed some decorative cord (left over from one of my non-craft fails, a ‘booty bag’ made from recycled jeans) and sewed it up. It looked like an upside down showercap. Or a squashed jellyfish..if jellyfish were moss green.
knit-3

Dead Jellyfish bag

G (Notagirlymom)–the most unlikely crafter to ever fail a craft!

20 Responses to Knitting Newbie Fail

1. Leslie says:

Too funny, been there done that. Punted just like you!

Leslie’s last blog post..Two of My Embellished Tee Shirts

2. Notagirlymom says:

At least I’m not alone. My husband has made me promise never to let that thing out of the house because it’s ugly beyond belief.

3. Jane Prater says:

You are knitting two stitches out of one at the beginning of the row because of the way you are handling the yarn when you turn for the new row. After you turn, take the working yarn and pull it toward you and down. That should take care of it.

It’s a very common newbie error and we all made it.

4. CraftyBagLady says:

Hey–that’s rather cute, in a groady kind of way. I’d adopt it. ;-)

5. Notagirlymom says:

I wondered why it was doing that! :) I’m now working on a scarf and I think I’m doing better. :) Maybe.

6. Mary says:

I don’t think my fragile ego could handle failing at a craft that came out of a book called “Knitting for Dummies.” :|

LOL!

Mary’s last blog post..How to Entertain a Little Kid.

7. Joan says:

I’m new to knitting too and it takes lots of patience! I’ve found some great tutorials on YouTube for all kinds of stitches, which really helped me.

I just started yoga too about a month ago and can’t believe the work out it gives. My clothes actually feel looser!

Joan’s last blog post..Knitting a Baby Blanket – Easy Pattern

8. Notagirlymom says:

I just got in the original Stitch-n-Bitch book from the library today and I’ve found it a LOT more helpful than “Complete Idiot’s Guide to Knitting”.
    Once I finish the scarf I’m working on (which is turning out not too badly, I think), I’m going to try some of the exercises in the book. :D

9. Masha says:

Oh I was there too!
    I was learning to knit at school. I must have been about 10 years old. The project was “knit a scarf for barbie”. My scarf looked like a trumpet because it went fine for a couple of rows, and then just started widening exponentially.

The teacher pinned it on the board with everyone else’s perfect scarfs. Which I only later found out were knitted by their mothers. So sad! Scarred for life :)

Luckily I survived and love knitting, as long as the results are considered purely abstract artworks and not utilitarian objects. That helps disguise their…eccentric nature

Masha’s last blog post..The Hamish Hamilton Book of Princesses

10. Leisei says:

Love, love, love your blog! Hey, most people seem to view failures as a bad thing.. but according to the book: “Failing Forward”, it’s a great thing! The best thing of all is to view failures with humor and keep on going; Thank You for showing the way and for bringing me to laughing tears at one thirty in the morning!

11. Lucy says:

Wow, thanks for the laugh. At least you turn things into something… Keep up the good work. AND keep posting.

Lucy

Lucy’s last blog post..Fanning the Flame

12. Notagirlymom says:

The best thing of all is to view failures with humor and keep on going
    I’m pretty good at laughing at my own screw ups because I do tend to fail..a lot. And it’s usually not a little ‘teehee I made an oopsie’ kind of fail. It is fail of epic proportions.

I need to dig out the pictures of the salt dough ornament fail from last Christmas and post those too. Now THAT was some epic fail! :D

13. Deepa says:

That is hilarious. I learned to knit a long time ago so I don’t remember doing this. But keep the positive attitude! One tip is to count the stitches after every row. It’s tedious but worth it. Also, try going to a SnB in your area so you can hang out with other knitters who can hold your hand. You’ll have fun.

One day you’ll be knitting lace, where even the most expert need to count stitches, and use “lifelines.” Good luck, and keep that sense of humor!

14. Nikki says:

Haha, it really does happen to everyone.

I’m teaching my 12 year old sister to knit and I started off a small swatch for her and left her to it for a few weeks. I came home last weekend to find my former rectangle looking like this:

_____________________________
    | |
    |__ |__
    | |
    | |
    ____| _|
    |________________________________|
    while it lays perfectly flat. Somehow, that little stinker added and removed stitches while not making it ruffle.

Good luck and it does get easier!
    | |

15. Nikki says:

That did NOT work. Just imagine a tetris puzzle that went horribly wrong, full of gaps and extra edges and THAT’S how this swatch turned out

16. Sarah says:

I did the same thing on my first knitting project (I think everyone does). In addition to accidentally knitting two stitches into the first stitch (as someone pointed out above) you could also be splitting the yarn and knitting extra stitches that way. Until I got more skilled I had to count every stitch to make sure I had the right number when I got to the end of the row.

Sarah’s last blog post..Embroidery inspiration

17. Maybe if you out a pink (felted?) flower on it and added some straps. Yeah, I think a flower would make it wearable. However, I have the trouble of wearing anything, especially if I made it. Except for one item…

18. maggie says:

With a few flowers added it could be a tea cozy. Without flowers it could be a Rasta/dread/braid holder/hat. I still can’t cast on stitches, so I think this ROCKS!

19. Katherine says:

The little “holes” in your work are what I call “turn and go backs.” When you would come back after put your knitting down, always make sure that the yarn you going to use for your next stitch is on the right-hand side. I’ve taught knitting for about 40 years and this is probably the most common newbie mistake. Just keep knitting – that’s how you get better. I’ve always kept my first knitting project – it keeps me humble.

20. Hermione says: