Mushroom Cloud Soap Fail

By Heather, Dollar Store Crafts

I never made much melt & pour soap. Maybe this shining example of a soapy holocaust contributed to my sense of failure when it came to M&P. This soap was supposed to be a simple two-level soap (with an exfoliant). Clear green soap, poppy seeds, and a murky periwinkle.

First of all, let’s just examine the color choices. Had nothing gone awry, the colors are ugly. Who wants periwinkle soap? I guess I was trying to match the colors to the scent blend (green apple anise… I got the idea from some Japanese gum I liked), but had the soap turned out, it still would have been a fail because of the uninspired color choices.

Second, poppy seeds? Clearly I can’t help throwing everything but the kitchen sink in a batch of soap (as in the Spam soap, when I used paprika AND parsley flakes in the batch).

Third, the messed-up effect of the two colors of soap co-mingling looks like a mushroom cloud after the bomb was dropped. Those tiny little poppy seed people didn’t have a chance. Some of them even went up into the mushroom cloud. Those poor vaporized opiates.

16 Responses to Mushroom Cloud Soap Fail

1. Mom2Cats says:

I think the soap looks pretty. Very earth-from-a-distance. I’d buy it if the price was right.

2. Kari@Ucreate says:

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I am totally linking you.

3. Kim Werker says:

Brilliant. In fact, the fail of it makes me love it far more. I think you should start a line of apocalyptic bath products—help people to keep things in perspective as they perform the mundane rituals of personal hygiene. A morning shower will seem so much more significant in the context of, “I could just end up an irradiated opiate today.”

Kim Werker’s last blog post..Sweater Inferno: CraftFAIL

4. Maryjohn says:

I think it is actually very pretty.

5. Nikki says:

This soap is so pretty! It looks almost like malachite.

Nikki’s last blog post..Quick Update

6. Janet Hogan says:

I just love all these soaps – they make my day… My Dad wants some spam soap now – :-)

Janet Hogan’s last blog post..Do you follow blogs?

7. WendyKay says:

“Those poor vaporized opiates” – too funny! Haha! I have had a similar effect when making melt and pour soap, trying to mix colors and additives. What you think in your head would look good doesn’t exactly happen once the soap is actually poured!

WendyKay’s last blog post..Thumbs up, Thumbs down

8. Meredith P says:

I love all your soaps, and your comments and explanations! I definitely think you should market the spam soap. In fact, the spam soap is how I found this wonderful blog!

9. CraftyBagLady says:

Just in time for Earth Day, too! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

10. Leslie says:

Not a soap maker, but so enjoying your efforts and YOUR fails.

Leslie’s last blog post..Quilt Guild Door Prize and Life is Funny that Way

11. katie says:

i don’t know, i would definitely buy this one and the spam soap.

12. Mary says:

Do you ever feel like maybe soap making isn’t really the craft for you?

LOL. Just kidding. You should see all my failed cakes before I got to a semi-decent one!

Mary’s last blog post..A Last Supper Post for Shelley.

13. @Mary Ha ha! I got a lot of decent-to-pretty-good looking soap, too! :) One of the really fun parts of soaping is that you don’t know what you’re gonna get, so it’s always a fun surprise every time you cut up your new soap. Actually, sharing the fails here is pretty darn entertaining, too. :)

14. Becky says:

Aww, I like the colors! But the commentary is the best. :D Best one since the Spam Soap (which was also great, btw!)

Becky’s last blog post..off week

15. Amy says:

I’m so glad I’ve found this. It’s so comforting that other avid crafters have disasters like this. I LOVE the condom henna tube!

16. deirdre says:

It really does look like a mushroom cloud! Your posts are so amusing; thanks for sharing!

deirdre’s last blog post..Susan Boyle