Silk Tie Easter Egg Fail

By Marybt,

This week I bring you … EASTER EGGS!!!! What’s that you say?  It’s impossible to screw up Easter eggs?  Alas.  It’s not.  Not even close to being impossible.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock far far away from all crafters and bloggers, then you have seen these silk tie Easter eggs from Martha Stewart:

tvm1137_1_l

Half the bloggers in the world have done this craft and shared it.  (I first stumbled upon it at Dollar Store Crafts.)  So I rushed right out to the nearest thrift store and bought 3 silk ties.  Then I rushed to the general store to get some white eggs since I generally buy brown.  I came home, followed the instructions carefully, unwrapped my beautiful eggs and …

TAAADAAAA!!!!

100_5677

That’s right!  They are as white as the wind-driven snow!  Yay me!  Exciting Easter eggs!

The best I can figure (and this is under the advisement of one of my co-workers) is that I got ties that had been cleaned so all the dye that would normally bleed out had already done so and there was none left to bleed onto my eggs.  Which makes sense.  And I’m sure Martha didn’t buy silk ties from a thrift store – I’m sure hers were brand spanking new.  Pshaw.

So, after my failed experiment, I decided to dye my eggs the old fashioned way.  The way Jesus and His Disciples did it.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought a no-fail “Magic Glitter Egg Kit”.  Magic my foot.

100_5682

Okay, the white stripes were on purpose.  Sort of.  I wrapped rubber bands around a couple of the eggs.  I guess they weren’t tight enough because the die leaked under them.  What?  Why do I have 5 pink eggs, 1 blue egg, and one yellow egg?  Well, I don’t.  You are looking at a yellow egg, a blue egg, 2 pink eggs, and 3 purple eggs.  Duh.

Besides my rubber band trick not working, the pink and purple ended up looking exactly the same.  Then the orange didn’t take but I had already dumped out the blue dye so I had to make yet another pink egg.  The yellow was pretty until I decided to glitter it (there are 3 glitter eggs in the picture).  Apparently, my “Magic Glitter Stick ‘Em” rinsed most of the yellow color off.  And we won’t even get into the spots on the blue egg …

There is a bit of good news though … I can safely eat my eggs without worrying about being poisoned by Chinese Easter Egg Dye Lead as seen here:

100_5678

I officially give up on coloring Easter eggs.

11 Responses to Silk Tie Easter Egg Fail

1. Carrie says:

That is hysterical…the silk ties turning out white! That’s probably what would happen to me too! Haha Happy Easter.

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Carrie’s last blog post..For my future grandchildren…

2. MaggieBelize says:

Oh wow, I can’t believe your silk-wrapped eggs came out completely blank! They look really, um, clean?

I’m so glad you posted this, as we’re planning to try it ourselves this afternoon, and now at least we’re prepared for possible disappointment. After reading your “fail”, we only bought ONE silk tie at a yard sale – didn’t want to commit any more than that. (I was horrified to find silk ties at our local thrift were $6 each!)

MaggieBelize’s last blog post..Cupcake HAPPY HANDS Goats Milk Honey HAND CREME for Knitters LITTLEST HAPPY 2-OZ Travel Size

3. tricia says:

LOL!

4. I’m so glad to know I wasn’t the only one with hot pink eggs from the purple dye. We used this for our easter eggs and ended up just dumping all the eggs in the stickum and pouring glitter on them. After a night in the fridge and an early morning egg hunt in the dew, they were all streaky and slug covered anyway.

5. Sandy says:

Could your ties have possibly not been silk? There are LOTS of polyester ones out there. Did you remember to put vinegar in the water? Did you boil it long enough?

6. Natalie says:

We bought the same kit at Walmart. We also were missing some colors and the glitter sucked. More of it went on my hands than on the eggs. Next year, the 88 cent dye kit, and maybe some stickers.

7. Christina Viering says:

How funny! Thanks for sharing. So often I have failed projects and think I am the only one!

8. I also think some eggs (color, size, organic?) take better to the dying process. I (should) know because I had to run out to Whole Foods to purchase the eggs for this craft’s TV debut and vaguely remember discussing this topic. . .

9. Doing it naturally. Squid ink dyes them black. Beet root dies them red. onion skins dye them brown. Blueberries dye them blue/purple.

10. Heidi says:

I have tried – and failed – at many Martha projects… But this one I have never messed up! I’m kinda thinking maybe they weren’t silk ties? Or maybe u missed a step? These really r quite beautiful for anyone thinking of doing them :)

11. Brandy says:

“The way that Jesus and His disciples did it…” LOL.