Ok, this is my first post here at CraftFail, but certainly not my first or last “craft fail”.
This bear started out as the Bubby bear pattern on Knitty. The yarn was perfect and soft, and I thought it would be so nice to felt it when it was complete, so I lightly stuffed it and ran it through the washing machine.
Guess I didn’t stuff it lightly enough. Or knit it tight enough…. holes galore. Well, I love to “make lemonaid out of lemons” so…. I tried to add some more wool here and there to patch it up and ran it through the wash again. I didn’t take a picture of it when it came through again, I was too horrified. The completed bear didn’t look much different than this one pictured- the knots and lumps didn’t blend in at all. And from the repeated washing, the narrow parts got smaller and smaller until the poor guy had a distended stomach and miniscule neck that couldn’t hold up his head.
A baby gift down the drain.
I never got a chance to take another picture of it, my mom took it home with her, I think she found something charming about the gangly limbs and sad patches.