Snuggly, Soft…. and Squiggly?

Maya, Froggy’s Fiber Followings

When I first learned to knit I was told that I should work on things that were square.  Square? Square is boring. Square is scarves, over and over again, I thought. I told myself, “hope I don’t have to do that for too long.”  As it turns out, I didn’t. I am a very ambitious crafter. I made a scarf. Great! This was easy. Then I decided I needed to learn to make socks. Wonderful! Then I randomly knit a hat using my limited stitch knowledge and Google to learn to decrease. Score! So making a baby blanket couldn’t be that difficult could it?

Yes, Yes it could. While at work one day I had a co-worker call up to ask if I still spun yarn or knit or crocheted or something. She had a friend who need a baby blanket for a pregnant sister. I asked all the questions I could think to ask and came up with a plan. However, after going to the yarn store and making the purchase, knitting the blanket for like 3 weeks non-stop (between wrist problems) and blocking and bagging, I bought the blanket into work. As it turns out, it was rejected. The lady was very nice but she said it wasn’t what she was looking for and she still paid for the cost of the yarn.

Soft Squiggly Blanket Fail

This was the first time I had ever really faced rejection in my tiny crafting world. I was shocked and somewhat angry because I felt like she didn’t provide enough guidance in the process. A couple of months later, I am very glad she didn’t take the blanket. Since I blocked the blanket it looked really nice. However, it was 100% nylon and requires consistent stitches to make a nice square long term and let me tell you, blocking does not work. So this was such a great experience on so many levels. Guess I will get back to working on my squares now!

8 Responses to Snuggly, Soft…. and Squiggly?

1. Notagirlymom says:

You’re like me. I only started knitting a few weeks ago and already I’m tackling a simple hat made on circular needles.

Granted, I’ve had a bit of trouble with it but the library lady who has helped me by finding me some knitting books (she knits also) applauds my daring.

I figure if I’m going to go for it, might as well go for it all the way. Dive in with both feet, so to speak.

2. schnucki says:

Really, I don’t think that’s bad at all. It’s a baby blanket! It’s going to be thrown up on, peed on, and worse. If it was soft and snuggly, I’d be proud to use it. It’s handmade. It has character!

3. shocked says:

How ungrateful! I’m sorry, but your coworker sounds like a total hag. What about your time??? She should have gone shopping in the first place if that’s what she wanted to do.

The blanket’s lovely! :)

4. marybt says:

I’ve crocheted about 3 blankets and have yet to get one square!

5. Angela says:

I agree with schnucki and shocked. I can’t believe she turned it down. 1.) What, they only need ONE blanket for the baby? 2.) Baby doesn’t care what the blanket looks like. Are they really that snobby that everything MUST match the nursery? Ungrateful, indeed.

I think it’s adorable!

6. Rogue Rylla says:

It’s hard to tell how big it is from the picture, but you could always sew it to a same sized piece of fabric and make a nice, comfy throw pillow. It looks very snuggly:)

Rogue Rylla’s last blog post..Group Knitting

7. Mama Alanna says:

It looks fine to me! And the baby is not going to care if it isn’t quite square!

And a coworker’s friend’s sister? That’s going about two steps farther than even friends should ask for.

8. Laura says:

I made a crocheted blanket for my twins while I was expecting. It turned out more of a triangle than a square (I consider myself an expert crocheter with over 20 years experience). So even we “experts” screw it up once in awhile. It still worked though and I still used it.