Cupcake Carnage

SOMEONE call 911! Cupcake down! Cupcake DOWN!

I bought the ingredients, I tried, I failed miserably.

Incase you haven’t been on Craftzine lately, you probably missed the post about
these BEAUTIFUL cupcake cones.

Yes, they are indeed cupcakes IN ice cream cones! With SPRINKLES! So, for
some summertime fun, I decided to try some. …oh I tried. But I must have
missed a direction or 5.

No comment. None at all. I just laughed. I can’t even salvage them. TERRIBLE

mess.

By Amanda_1981

27 Responses to Cupcake Carnage

1. Nicole says:

apparently, it’s easier to put the batter in cupcake liners, and put the cone on top of them, open side down, and then bake.

no promises, this is what my mom told me…

Nicole’s last blog post..Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. JanoBean says:

But did any of them taste good? ;)

3. katw0man says:

too funny
    you can’t cry
    only laugh

boy do i fit in this circle

every story you tell
    there will be a parallel in my life as well
    even pooor old Horton

reminds me of a three sleeved shirt i once sewed
    one arm was inside out and backside front.
    i HATE to sew! only buy pretty fabric…

if i am a good girl today
    (that would mean getting something accomplished)
    then maybe i can come back and post a story or two
    sometime around lunch or supper time :)

i am attempting to restrict in my FaceBook and blog times
    due to running behind on my goals
    due to lack of focus
    due to ADHD tendencies
    due to visionary highly divergent behaviour….you see
    due to summer break syndrome

the thing that bothers me about the fails
    is that my cash is tight so i hate to waste the
    money on failed ingredients….you know?

4. amanda_1981 says:

Your Horton was brilliant! I’d love a one eared Horton, to be honest. I think they should have an EtsyFail or ArtfireFail where we can sell our misfit toys! LOL Oh, if only I had a picture of the big-headed teddy bear I crocheted to show you in response to that elephant…

Facebook is super addicting. I think I’m on there more times a day than not. :-\ *note to self: get a life* ROFL

5. erin says:

salvage what? they are still cupcakes. eat the damn things. no one will care.

6. Wendy says:

I microwave my cup-cake cones, and it works great! And it only takes like two minutes for each batch of six! Easy peasy!

Wendy’s last blog post..Etsy Favorites Wednesday – Put a Drink on It

7. blakely says:

my stuff never turns out right, but I keep on trying. Best of luck next time.

blakely’s last blog post..Homemade Salsa

8. Fräulein says:

My mother used to make these in the 70’s.
    Looking at the images I can see two things you missed. Because I missed the exact same things when I tried to make them, so I called up mother to find out what I did wrong.

First step is placing the cones in muffin tins with a little foil wrapped around the bottom of the cones to hold them upright and in place.
    Second step is not over filling the cones.

9. Godforsaken Unicorn says:

Totally need to enter it there ^^

10. Tammy says:

So, who knows what those cones are made of that they don’t bake/burn or melt?
    I’ve made these in the past, too, they come out exactly the same way… spilled disasters…a nice scoopful of frosting usually remedies the situation.

Tammy’s last blog post..Blog Anniversary Tutorial Round Up

11. Jenna Z says:

Oh boy, WOW! It can be hard to get the balance of batter to cone just right to get a nice dome on top but when in doubt, fill with LESS batter then you really want to or think you should. You can always fill any gap with frosting to make it look nice and heaped like ice cream. :)

Jenna Z’s last blog post..Monday!

12. Nerd Goddess says:

Hey, I did the same thing! I made them… and they spilled everywhere. AND the frosting I made turned out like crap. Glad to know there’s someone in the same boat as me. :)

Nerd Goddess’s last blog post..Cherry Pie Earrings

13. Liz says:

Knock that off the list of potential cakes for my son’s birthday in July!!

Liz’s last blog post..Synchronized Sleeping

14. Kelley says:

Put the cones in a cupcake tin to hold them upright, like Fräulein says.

Also, the sunken tops… Either you pulled these out before they were done baking (presumably because you smelled the burning bits that had overflowed), or your temperature was off.

Will you try it again?

15. Mary says:

hahaha! All the kids had those at their birthday parties when I was little.

I say, scrape the burned parts off and disguise the rest with icing. That’s what I’d do. There’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a little buttercream! That’s my motto.

Mary’s last blog post..The Ultimate Craft Failure – Marigold Perfume.

16. Robyn says:

That’s how pretty much ALL of my attempts at cake creativeness turn out.

17. amanda_1981 says:

Well, the problem was that they kinda asploded and then what was left of the cake stuck to the cone and kinda turned into a burnt brownie. It was a massacre! There’s no saving this one. The cones were even soggy. They tasted gross and smelled 100% as bad.

The good news is that I made a regular cake yesterday and it turned out GREAT. I should PROBABLY stick with not trying these again, but I will. I know I will. I will probably fail again, as well. :)

18. Sharon CBL says:

Amanda–maybe you could start a blog called “What Not to Bake”! LOL.

Kidding aside, though, it just looks like next time the cones need anchoring. The way I would do this is stand the cones upright in a muffin tin and use foil around each one to make them stand up. Also, you should maybe use a tad less baking powder/baking soda than is called for in the recipe and only partially fill up the cones.

Don’t give up! We all do stuff like this, believe me!

Sharon CBL’s last blog post..Shrinky Stinks: The sequel

19. Amanda says:

No fun! these remind me of my birthday my mom always made them for me when I was little every year, then the first time I tried doing them myself when I was 18 this is how they ended up.

I then proceeded to force her to make them for me.

20. Christina Viering says:

I can relate!

21. The wrecked sweaters and goofy looking crafts are often depressing, but this’ Fail’ made me laugh! Some ideas seem so great but don’t quite make it… especially when faced with a deadline, such as a birthday party or event! Even though they weren’t salvageable, they do look like they may have tasted good. Could eat them while you cry and figure what you’re going to make instead!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor’s last blog post..Polymer Clay Tutorial | Anjou Pear Fruit Beads for Summer Jewelry

22. val says:

the sweater is too funny…but the cupcakes? OMGosh, I almost fell out of my seat. Makes me remember when I was 12 and made a batch of cookies….without the FLOUR.

val’s last blog post..Crafting hope…

23. va; says:

I am CRYIN’ this post is sooooooo funny!
    I was sooooo tempted to try making these but am so glad I saw your post first. Now I probably won’t….I’ll stick to my regular cakes. But THANK YOU for sharing, I really needed a laugh!
    I blogged about ya’ll over at my blog so I hope you get more peeps coming to check you out! You should win a bloggy award!

yarnigras.blogspot.com

va;’s last blog post..crappy crafters paradise!

24. Nerina says:

I can relate as well :(
    All you can do is laugh!!
    Enjoy the rest of your day!!
    Hugs, Nerina :)

Nerina’s last blog post..Celebrate Canada Day

25. I can’t stop laughing!

Jen @ Diagnosis: Urine’s last blog post..how i discovered free cotillion and babysitting

26. Christie says:

I did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago for my daughters birthday! I wanted to cry, but laughed instead. Luckily enough ingredients to whip up another batch of “normal” cupcakes. I’m so glad I’m not the only one. I think I overfilled the cones. But I’m not in any hurry to try them out again.

Christie’s last blog post..Key Lime Cupcakes (and apron giveaway!)

27. Jess says:

My mom used to make these when my brother and I were little kids! We’d always have some to share with our class during “snack day” or our birthdays. Wow, blast from the past.

Don’t fret about yours….a cupcake is a cupcake, whether in a cone or baking cups. Yummy is yummy :)