Refried Bean Soap Fail

refried-bean-soap

By Heather, Dollar Store Crafts

I’ve said before that the road to soaping is paved with funky and failed soaps, and my first rebatch was no exception. By definition, a rebatch is sort of a fail – it’s taking a failed soap, grating it up and reprocessing it into a hopefully nice bar of soap.

Somehow, I’m talented at making soap that looks like food. This ended up looking just like refried beans straight outta the can. Look, you can even see the whitish specks of whole bean in it!

For those of you who want to create this at home (or try rebatching), here is my recipe:

• 18.9 oz of grated (and chunked, it looks like) soap
  • 3 oz of water (mixed with powdered milk to add extra luxe)
  • Poppyseeds (for UBER grit)
  • And in case you were wondering what the colorant was, it was a tube of Wet & Wild lipstick* – brown, I’m guessing?

*(Real soapers, don’t roll over in your graves. Beginning soapers have to cut startup costs wherever they can.)

Microwave at 80% for two minutes. Stir and repeat. This will take approximately 8-10 minutes. When it’s smooth, glop it into a mold.

9 Responses to Refried Bean Soap Fail

1. Emma says:

lol, I love your soap mishaps! xD
    I’m sure there’s a market out there for novelty food-soaps. Your visions are just too early xD

2. Tammy says:

This looks good enough to eat. (Just like when I went to a craft fair with a friend and she put out slivers of her soap for folks to smell and take to wash with and someone ate it.)

Tammy’s last blog post..In the Night Kitchen

3. KateCake says:

Needs cheese!

4. Notagirlymom says:

LOL
    Very creative. Now all you need is some washcloths that look like tortillas and you’re all set!

5. katw0man says:

my first rebatch looked just like that…
    only i used some milk and it turned green.
    a luminous, unearthly, sick color of green.
    i think the fragrance used was oatmeal, milk and honey.
    why, how lovely that was!

it is sitting, to this day, in the closet.

since i can throw nothing away, it
    still sits there…unused, unloved, and
    unappreciated!

finally, i am slowly getting up the nerve
    to try again….only leaving out the milk of course!

6. katw0man says:

oh, and i forgot to mention…
    i used a frozen lemonade can
    so it would be easy to demold.

after i got the gloppy mess into the
    mold – that was hard enough…
    when i demolded it, there was a gigantic
    air pocket in the middle.

so then we had
    green Oatmeal, Milk and Honey
    soap that looked like a smashed doughnut!

ugly as sin.

if i have the nerve I will post a pic.

however, today, I have decided to spend the entire
    yes, entire day
    unearthing my two office desks which have not
    been cleaned off since
    Tax Day 04/15/2009

the day we all celebrate
    and love to hate
    and rejoice when it’s all over so that we can finally
    get back to our cluttered
    disorganized
    and creative, albeit, grungy lives!

7. katw0man says:

i am so sorry,
    taking a break from all this cleaning

forgot to add the byline….

katw0man

very very sorry – it won’t happen again!

8. Fräulein says:

My latest rebatch looks almost like that.
    And dont feel bad about what you used for colors. I use a little bit of crayola crayons melted into about a tablesppon of whatever fat i am using. I then add that fat when it gets to the trace stage.

9. Sharon CBL says:

katw0man: Your posts cracked me up! Here’s whatcha do with ugly-as-sin soap:

*Label it as such and pretend you MEANT it to be like that! Like “Ugly as Sin Soap: Because the World Can Get Really Dirty!” or something like that
    * Cut it up and let it become one with the liquid hand soap in your bathroom, a little at a time
    * Cut it up and sew it inside little green washcloth bags that can be hung and dried between uses

Heather: This also looks a lot like miso dip. A takeoff on Notagirlymom’s great idea would be to make some washcloths that look like rice cakes. ;-)

Sharon CBL’s last blog post..Shrinky Stinks: The sequel