Cursed Sweaters

I fell in love with this pattern at a yarn show. Went home, saved up my money (I rarely buy more than one skein of yarn at a time & even rarer do I make anything bigger than a baby sweater or a scarf).  Placed my order online and was so excited to get the pattern and the yarn to go with it. The colors were vibrant and the yarn soft, a mix of cotton/rayon/flax.

Spent months knitting it. I even reworked parts, and made the sleeves smaller! (Read here if you don’t know why I watch out for sleeves!) I was so proud of it when it was complete. It matched with just about everything in my wardrobe. I could finally wear something I made!

Over time things seemed to be a little looser. Was I losing weight? (Ha! I wish!) How could this be? I started to roll up the sleeves. Pick it up and place back onto  a shoulder. Who knew yarn could stretch so much???

IMG_0048

I’ve even gained some weight since I finished this (ok, maybe 20lbs. isn’t “some”…) and it’s still too big!!! I’m going to unravel this one. Start again. Rework it into something with a tighter stitch. Cross your fingers for me.

8 Responses to Cursed Sweaters

1. Heather says:

Oh noes! What kind of yarn did you use? I know that silk stretches a lot, and so does cotton because it’s really heavy. Best of luck!

Heather’s last blog post..Meditation

2. ajd says:

that sweater would have been awesome if it hadn’t stretched so much, it looks like something you’d get in a store. also, you have a very pretty face

3. Robyn says:

I would have cried. The colors are awesome, I agree! Good luck with the rework!

Robyn’s last blog post..Something crafty

4. peppernys says:

such lovely colours and pattern, I can’t believe it loosened that much over time!
    good luck :)

peppernys’s last blog post..Dugong preparations

5. tamdoll says:

Thanks you guys! It was so unflattering to wear after a while, but at least there’s humor in it. And maybe it’s salvageable! The yarn was what was recommended with the pattern – Carolina cotton with rayon & flax. I see it listed on the pattern page but not at the website anymore. It pilled a little while I wore it, too… but I’m really hoping to make it into something better.

tamdoll’s last blog post..Self-Sabotage?

6. Leslie says:

Oi, why did it do that? Flax not so springy, any other reviews that you have found with a similar issue?

Leslie’s last blog post..Elizabeth Celtic Festival

7. tamdoll says:

Leslie, I never even looked for other reviews about it… and haven’t seen anything out there except for the yarn being called “strong”.

8. craftdr says:

This is always happening to my mother, who knits like a mad fiend. She’s always saying she’s “cursed by the knitting gods”. She’s gonna be so happy when I show this to her, and prove to her that she’s not the only one who has this problem, so thanks for sharing!

It’s still pretty, even all stretched out. I hope the rework goes well.