Star Wars Craft Fail

By Heather, Dollar Store Crafts

I have been working on a couple of Star Wars crafts lately (most of them turned out pretty cute), but for some reason Chewbacca was not an easy Star Wars character for me to incorporate into my projects!

Through my involvement in Craft Fail, I’ve gradually come to realize that the lack of pattern-use is my number one reason for failing at my projects. I have gotten slightly better at improving my results through the use of a sketchbook (I sketch the “final product” before I even try to cut out pieces. If I’m smart.) This Chewbacca face (applique?) was not made with the aid of a sketch, although I tried to be aware of the identifying characteristics of Chewy’s face: close set eyes, a doggie nose, lighter fur streaks emanating from his face out around his head.

Instead, I free-hand cut him out of felt.

<insert foghorn sound here>

I actually fished this face out of the trash so I could take a picture for you. It’s so ugly. Can you imagine adorning a poor unsuspecting tote with this monstrosity?

I hate felt.

9 Responses to Star Wars Craft Fail

1. Niki says:

Heather, you crack me up! I wouldn’t so much call that a Craft Fail as Craft Similar-to-what-a-3rd-grader-would-make. You are very creative and talented, so I’m eager to see what did make the cut! -Niki

2. Lisa from Oakland, CA says:

Well, if you turned that right eye over, you’d solve a lot of the problem right there. I think the light streaks look great, actually.

3. Mary says:

Have you ever seen pictures of the trees with faces? I guess you can buy the faces in catalogs and stick them to your trees. That’s what this looks like. So, in conclusion, you should just tell everyone this is a tree face and not Chewbacca. You’re welcome.

4. val says:

I love the ‘insert fog horn sound here’ bit. Too funny. I do think it looks sort of like a face with tree branches growing out of it……..hm……

5. Small Craft Advisory says:

Would someone get this walking felt carpet out of my way?

6. Notagirlymom says:

I’m one of those people who go “Pattern? Tscha! Who needs a pattern?!?!?” when I craft things too. :)

7. Jan Rhoades says:

You know what…this isn’t so bad. If you squint a little (or a lot) and sort of think about who he is/was, then it could be a faint replica of Chewbacca.

I realise this is an old entry, but it cracks me up each time I look at him. Keep on squinting.

Love Jan in Upper Mt Gravatt, Brisbane Queensland, Australia

8. I love him. Did you know that Chewbacca is a mentally disabled wookie in the movies? I’m serious!

9. Pingback: 18 Craft Projects Gone Wrong - Craftfail | The New Home Ec