An Altered Disaster

By: Suzanna at The Mermaid and the Astronaut

I had been interested in altering a piece of clothing after seeing some pretty inspirational things on-line.  It didn’t look that difficult.  I purchased a woman’s size sweater from a thrift store with the intentions of making an adorable sweater-dress for my 5 year old.  I could picture her wearing it with some cute tights and boots this Fall.

smaller

The idea was to leave the length of the dress alone but take in the sides and shorten the sleeves.  What went wrong?

1. I took in the sides way too much and instead of form fitting it was obscene.
  2. I managed to sew in the sleeve with the seam on the right side of the garment.
  3. The sleeve was way too long and large.
  4. Expecting my child to cheerfully try on the dress over and over again.

The idea was good but the execution was so poor and my patience was so lost that the “dress” went into the garbage.

12 Responses to An Altered Disaster

1. Rachel says:

Good lord do I recognize that face- I see it on my 5 year old every time I decide to try to save money and make something cute! If it makes you feel any better, I spent weeks working on my first sewing project in ages- a costume. It would have looked so sweet- if I had remembered to leave a way for her to get in and out of it…

2. He he he .. it’s hideous!

3. Robyn says:

Awesome picture!!! Clothes altering scares me to pieces.

4. Jeri says:

I love your daughters face, it’s priceless!

5. Carey says:

This is the best picture! You win there, at least. :-P

6. Elise says:

Oh my gosh, that face is to die for! That picture is a true keeper. In about 15 years, she’ll be showing it to her friends and laughing about the whole thing! Those kinds of memories make craft disasters worthwhile :)

7. larissa says:

thanks for the huge laugh. I’m still laughing. not at you though. soooooo something I might do. and that photo is priceless.

8. HA!! I am partial to the photo too — you ought to submit it to babyblooze.com; I’d love to post it! But I TOTALLY agree with you — the dress would have been a cute idea w/ tights, etc. Too bad it didn’t work out.

9. Susan says:

As soon as I saw that picture, I burst out laughing so hard it was several minutes before I could collect myself enough to read the entry that went with it. That is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time. Between what she has on and the look on her face, too hilarious!! So glad you shared that.

10. Pingback: The Ugly Side of Crafting « RobDurdle.com

11. Julie Ousley says:

What a face! I love her look of resigned condemnation…and can totally sympathize, considering…

I’m afraid that I would have added insult to injury, and held on to the project to see if I could “save” it for another day.