The Jolly Cannibal Jack-O-Lantern Hot Pad

So I joined a swap where you’re supposed to send seasonal-themed items to someone you don’t know.  My swappy partner has a little girl.  “Great!” I thought.  “I can send something cute for the daughter!”

So I got to work.

I had this brilliant idea to make a little zipper pouch shaped like a pumpkin.  Then I decided to make the zipper be the mouth of a jack-o-lantern!  CUUUUTE, right?  It started out quite adorable (if I do say so myself).

Then I decided to quilt it.  And bind it.  And add a loop.

Uh-oh.  Sounding like a familiar, common household item?

jackolantern fail
Yep.  Looks just like a hot pad, other than that zipper.

I lined it with this really cute pumpkin fabric, too.
jackolantern fail1
So now he looks like a jolly cannibal jack-o-lantern hot pad.

But wait — Now I’m really thinking.  What if it was a hiding place for valuables, like jewelry?  I could market it to college students who want to hide things from their roommates!  Who would think to look in the hot pad?  HA!

Maybe I’m not a failure after all — maybe I’m just a GENIUS in disguise!!

**Don’t worry, I won’t be sending this to my swappy partner’s little girl.  I’m sure there is not a 4-year-old girl in the world who would be thrilled to receive a hot pad as a gift– no matter how cute it is!  I’ll make something else…………

30 Responses to The Jolly Cannibal Jack-O-Lantern Hot Pad

1. Eb says:

Are you crazy? I think it’s super cute! :-) You should definitely send it to the little girl.

2. When I first opened this post, I scrolled up and down looking for the craftfail — I assumed your gorgeous pouch was a shot of the inspiration project! Nicely done, even if it didn’t come out as intended.

Hmmm, now I’m thinking of the storage possibilities for a hot pad with a zipper. You could keep … recipes inside? Matches for in case your pilot light goes out? There’s potential here!

3. Kaizerin says:

Are you kidding? That’s awesome! Where’s the NOT FAIL button on this thing?

4. Kim Walus says:

I don’t think this qualifies as a Craft Failure at all. It’s too adorable. It could be a cute little purse if you add a strap or call it a really cute coin purse or treasure keeper. You could stuff it with lots of goodies too! I think it’s absolutely darling!!!

5. piper says:

the only problem is when the roommate USES said hiding place as a hotpad and singes all of the valuables hidden within.

oops!

i have to say, though. it is a very cute hot pad.

6. pixie says:

Aww! I think it’s cute! <3

7. blakely says:

This doesn’t seem like such a bad idea to me.

8. Lisa says:

I admit it, I laughed. But only when I hit the cannibal line.

9. Valerie says:

Best intentions right? I think it’s adorable! A little like a hot pad, yes. But 100% adorable. Love the cannabilizing it’s doing. ;)

10. Karissa says:

I have three girls – 4, 6, and 12 – who say it’s adorable and they would LOVE to play with it!

11. ambjer says:

It is a really cute zippered pot holder though! You can slip your hand inside the zipper part!

12. Becca says:

That’s adorable. I love it.

13. Notagirlymom says:

Definately an un-fail here. I thought it was too cute!

14. Tammy says:

Oh, that is cute! Just add a strap and you can hang it on a doorknob, too!

15. Paula says:

Very creative and cute! The only thing I would be concerned about is a plastic zipper could melt. :(

16. Erin says:

i love tammy’s idea of making it into a doorknob hanger!

17. Fanboy Wife says:

I wish my pot holders were cannibals.

18. Care says:

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! I did end up making something else for my swappy partner’s little girl, and my son has been hauling Jack O’ Cannibal around with a little flashlight zipped inside. HE likes it, so I guess it’s not a total bust!

19. kicki says:

what YOU as an adult see and what a 4-year old child see are usually two different things… :) Those pesky filters we adapt as we grow up hasn’t had time to set in yet when you are 4. They are able to see awesomeness in things we don´t even notice… a good thing to always remember when interacting with those mysterious creatures.

20. TinaH says:

for sure send ti to the little girl. She will tote it around like a purse! As a mom of five girls…trust me…she will like this!

21. Kathy says:

I looked at the comments because I did not think it was a craft fail. I see that others agree. It is very cute and well crafted.

22. rac says:

Send it to me!!!!

23. JuliaD says:

Oh good god, I think that’s hilarious. Especially the second picture. It looks like your cannibalistic pumpkin zipper-mouthed pot-holder is getting a dental exam. Too funny!

24. alva says:

I wish my pot holders were cannibals.

25. selina says:

This is sooo cute! And you call this a fail?! I would love to see something you were really happy with, it would be AMAZING!

26. Kristen says:

Just wanted to share with you my Craft Fail experience from this weekend. So, I apologize in advance for the extended comment.

I attempted to paint pumpkins this weekend. My first attempt was with tempera paint which would not opaquely cover my pumpkin no matter how many coats I applied. After brainstorming a little, a co-worker suggested I try spraying the pumpkin with a workable fixative. I did, and it didn’t make the tempera paint work any better.

So, I decided to purchase some acrylic paint instead. Next I covered sections of my pumpkin with masking tape and with an exacto knife, I began to make leaf stencils for it. The masking tape however, peeled off the workable fixative which, didn’t pose a problem so I continued to paint in my stencils. After applying a couple of coats and letting my pumpkin dry I excitedly began to peel away the remaining masking tape only to find that it took a lot of the paint with it.

Needless to say, my dreams of a fall leaf pumpkin are dashed. However, I was able to successfully paint one pumpkin striped and one polka-dotted. So the weekend wasn’t a total loss.

27. gaia gold says:

I wish my pot holders were cannibals.

28. marji says:

This would make a great Halloween tradition. Kind of like Easter baskets and advent calendars. Hide something fun in it for your kids to find on Halloween.

29. elenka says:

That is so cute! I love it, but to be honest, if I saw that sitting around, the first, FIRST thing I would do would be to unzip it. I wouldn’t hide anything valuable in there when I’M around!

30. Jennifer says:

I would actually be quite proud if I had made your super cute cannibal hot pad, my failures are too humiliating to post. In fact I have gifted some things before I realized how truly terrible they were!