Necklace FAIL

I’m not usually a frilly girl.  I like clean lines, classic colors, and I look like an idiot in lots of ruffles.   But I looooooooove the necklaces from Anthropologie.  Love them.  I have nothing in my closet with which I could actually wear one, and I would probably break it within 24 hours.  I’m kind of Jojo the idiot circus freak with a pretty new pet when it comes to jewelry.  (Bonus points if you got the Tommy Boy reference.)

I have seen lots of beautiful Anthro knockoffs on the webs, so I thought I would give it a try.  You would think by now I would have learned my lesson about trying to do crafts with no skills and no real plan.  But I just knew THIS time would be different.  I would make a gorgeous reproduction and people would gasp and ask me,”WHERE did you get that fabulous necklace?”  ”You MADE it?!?!?”  “Well, I think it’s even more beautiful than the original!”  I would nod knowingly but humbly.  “Oh really.  It’s nothing.  I didn’t even know what I was doing when I made it.”

I found my inspiration on the Anthropologie website.  Look at this pretty:943709_017_b

Sigh.

I bought some cool ribbon at the thrift store.  It’s like organza or tulle, but not quite organza or tulle.  Or maybe it really is organza or tulle since I don’t sew and know nothing about fabrics.

Anywhozits,  I made this pretty flower using it.

100_6378

Not a bad start, if I do say so myself.  Now to just add a strand of fake pearls, and it will be just like the original.  Okay, add some more ribbon since the pearls aren’t long enough.  Hmmm, no jewelry clasps.  Well,  I’ll just tie the ribbon off in a big loopy bow.  It will be romantic.  Okay.  Can’t get the bow to work.  How about a plain double knot.  It works for shoe laces, right?  Let’s just put it on and take a look in the mirror….

100_6379

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Suddenly those conversations in my head were starting out a little differently, ”My.  What a lovely flower-shaped goiter you have, Miss.”

But I will still reply the same way, “Oh really.  It’s nothing.  I didn’t even know what I was doing when I made it.”

12 Responses to Necklace FAIL

1. Myrnie says:

I don’t normally comment, but THIS was funny :) You have such a good outlook! (I think if the ribbon the side was scrunched into a rope shape, this would be quite pretty as is! Or perhaps substitute a piece of silk ribbon, with a bit more weight to it?)

2. That was entertaining. :-) Great job on the flower, though!

3. Fanboy Wife says:

You flower looks good, and you made a Tommy Boy joke, so you’re on the right track. If you get more beads and a clasp, you could always try again. It looks to me that the flower is the hardest part.

4. Julia D says:

I actually really like it! It’s certainly wouldn’t end up on my site!

5. I love your sense of humor. And your necklace is far better than my attempts so far at homemade jewelry. Maybe that pretty flower could be a corsage for some formal occasion?

6. Stephanie says:

I totally got the Tommy Boy reference! You are the Diva of failed crafts! I so completely relate and sit at your feet for your sheer awesomeness at sharing all of these projects! You Totally ROCK!!

My craft motto is if less is more, then more is more! I never find the line between half way decent craft and “What were you thinking?”

Thank you for sharing your gift! Seriously. I just read it again out loud and am crying all over again!! Thank you, again!

7. Eniko says:

I actually really love the flower you made. It would be so cute on a little headband.

8. val says:

I actually spit while laughing when I got to the word GOITER!

9. Pingback: CraftFail » Blog Archive » Knot a Flower

10. Lys says:

Just because you made a Tommy Boy reference, you win. It totally negates your “failed” post. You’re so funny! Almost peed myself from laughing so hard. You may be able to save your necklace though. By re-stringing the pearls all the way around the necklace and gluing the flower asymmetrically to one side? Just a suggestion. :]

11. Nikki says:

Thanks for linkin’ up to Fail Friday…LOL…..I personally think the goiter adds a real personal touch…lol

12. Pingback: The Truth is Fails Happen - Mad in Crafts