The Halloween worms that never were

By Liz from BabyBlooze.com

Back in early September, I bookmarked this awesome idea by The Idea Room to make jello worms. I saved this recipe for a full two months, hell-bent on impressing the neighbor kids with this winning idea (I have a side hobby of freaking out the neighbors with a worm composting bin so I figured this would be perfect.)

So this is the photo of the beautiful, perfect worms conjured by Amy.

Blood_Worms-1-1sm

And these are mine:

DSC_0008sm

Nice work!

I really had two problems here… first, I didn’t have a empty milk carton to hold the straws and that was kind of a problem. The jello leaked out of the bottoms of the straws which resulted in worms only a couple of inches long.

Leaky straws

Leaky straws

And secondly, I didn’t quite get the part Amy said about using HOT water to run over the straws before trying to squeeze out the jello. Note to those of you willing to try this — listen to Amy. Really. Use HOT water for this step.

The results were so bad I tossed the whole thing. But I’ve since tracked Amy down on Twitter (so I can ask her questions), and I’m ready to try again!

Besides Liz’s culinary fails, you can check out her parenting fails vis-a-vis the crying photos of her kids on http://www.babyblooze.com.

10 Responses to The Halloween worms that never were

1. Those are awesomely nasty. They look like raw hamburger meat. Ewwww!! Yours don’t quite measure up… but still nasty! :) ha ha!

2. Leslie says:

I agree with what Heather said, ewww!

3. Good Lord, that stuff is scary. I think it’s good they didn’t turn out so great;-)

4. Oh, I just found your blog and have been scanning through your entries. What a *relief* to see I’m not the only one who bites off more than I can chew when I try new craft ideas or recipes. I’m starting to finally accept that I only have a prayer of finishing a craft if it is labeled as very easy! Other more complicated ideas end up in my bin of “someday I’ll do this” crafts, but they somehow never get done.

5. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

6. Amy says:

HaHa! That is so funny! Not that your worms failed of course, but that I had no clue their was this site where you could send you craft failures to in all their horrendous and shameful glory. My worms worked out, but I have stacks of stuff that have ended up in the trash. Now I know where to send the ones that don’t get posted! Thanks for the laugh!

7. Tammy says:

I wish I had seen this how-to! I would have tried it also… and I’m sure would have ended up the same.
    (What a year for Halloween disasters, never had so many myself actually.)

Scary is the point though, huh?

8. val says:

heehee…a friend of mine emailed me that same link knowing I would love it.

I knew I wouldn’t have the patience though so didn’t try it…..but I’m glad you did…so I’ll know what to do NEXT YEAR!

9. amy says:

I saved this recipe to make for my brownie troop and just ran out of time, I guess I’m glad I didn’t take the time to do it! Thanks for the laugh.

10. Karrie says:

LOL!
    I made these same worms this year for Halloween! A few looked like they were supposed to, most looked like yours! Also, a warning, if you use TOO hot of water for TOO long, well, all that will come out of those 5000 straws is red jello-y water! LOL

I tossed ‘em, with only maybe a 1/4 of them out of the straws. I just couldn’t imagine trying to squeeze the rest of them out, just to end up with goo. LOL