“Bringing Down the House” Wood Candles

This is (literally) a cautionary tale. I made these tealight holders with a friend for a wedding reception last summer, but I wasn’t happy that the tealights do not last all the way through dinner.  Recently I pulled the few that I had saved out, and placed wick and poured wax and lit my new candle and I think you can imagine where this goes next. The bases, you see, are simply made of wood, and wood happens to be such a naturally flammable material that I was just lucky I had been standing right next to it when the thing went up in flames!

The concept, as a tealight holder, as long as the tealight is in it’s own receptacle, is still a good one–I’m proud that it worked beautifully for the wedding, I’ll just blame the idea of making a poured candle out of a chunk of wood on baby brain. Hey, I’m a mom, it’s my prerogative!

13 Responses to “Bringing Down the House” Wood Candles

1. Pingback: Bust Your Yard (IV) Birch Tealight Holders with BONUS Yard Bust Reception! « Art, meet Craft.

2. Leslie says:

OI!
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..#95 of 365 – Happy Easter =-.

3. Irene says:

The 8 hour burntime tealight is in existence! ;-)
    .-= Irene´s last blog ..The Finer Details of Science =-.

4. Well, look at it this way, you have just created very effective fire starters! You could market those!

5. val says:

these are still quite cute!!
    .-= val´s last blog ..April’s Toy Society drop =-.

6. Fanboy Wife says:

Well, they could be useful for camping at least.
    .-= Fanboy Wife´s last blog ..Gigantic =-.

7. Pingback: Make a Pretty Cut-Paper Lamp | Dollar Store Crafts

8. chidori says:

I’ve been lurking and have finally decided to come out! This blog always makes me laugh … I’ve had more than a few of those “the-idea-worked-much-better-in-my-head” projects, and I love that this blog celebrates all our attempts, successful or not, at crafting a better life.

I think these tealights looked very nice though, and indeed it was lucky that none of them combusted during the wedding.
    .-= chidori´s last blog ..Less talk, more do =-.

9. aks says:

Up next on craftfail – children’s halloween masks made from grocery bags! Ay carumba!

10. Rory says:

I love it, it’s cute and indigenous. Maybe you can put a tin sheet to prevent it from burning :)
    .-= Rory´s last blog ..dj-flanner =-.

11. a hilarious mistake

12. Marilynne Adams says:

I love these! I have seen them sold commercially and thought I should try to make them myself, but I wondered about how to make them fireproof! I thought I would make them big enough to drop a glass votive cup in.
    I love this site, I could fill it myself with all my failed attempts at crafts. I always tell myself “it was a good idea, it just didn’t work”!

13. Ms. Messy says:

Try soaking the wood in a solution of 5% boric acid, 5% borax and 90% water. Then let them dry and try to light them. I did this with cardboard egg cartons (just sprayed them with it) and you can hold a lighter to them and they just will not ignite.