FAILFELT: the teeny tiny skully cap

We got our very first craftfail submission via the new form! Yay!

From: Amy T.
Subject: FAILFELT

Message Body:
Long, long ago, I bought neon pink and neon green yarn thinking, “This will make a great robot hat!”  Several months later when I had finally finished all necessary knitting projects before I could devote time to it, I decided instead to make it a skull and crossbones hat.  The pattern was a mish-mash between the pattern for the felted “God Save the Queen” hat in “Pretty in Punk” and the skull and crossbones fair isle pattern featured in “Son of Stitch ‘n Bitch”.  I had successfully knit and felted two hats previously using the same kind of yarn with the “God Save the Queen” hat as a basis, so of course this one would be no problem at all, right?  Wrong.  I’m no good at fair isle and my first attempt at knitting it was too small to even fit on my head prior to felting.  So I frogged and started again.  I thought I had something and instead of doing the logical cautious move of felting by hand, I machine-felted (the method I had successfully used with two other hats).  The results were a hat that no human could wear.  Hopefully neon skully hat mk III will be a success.

10 Responses to FAILFELT: the teeny tiny skully cap

1. Leslie says:

Just a thought, try knitting your Fair Isle from the back, your tension loosens up amazingly. Seems weird, but it works…
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..#106 of 365 – Farewell to the Gypsy =-.

2. Jeri says:

You cat seems to be an unwilling model? LOL
    .-= Jeri´s last blog ..Coral Colored Flower and Swarovski Crystal Dangle Stud Earrings =-.

3. amy says:

I love this hat! I had to laugh at it on your cat, and know my cats and dogs do not like my craft fails nearly as much as your cat does!

4. kc says:

Hahahaha LMAO that poor kitty looks as mortified as my dog when I dress her up……
    .-= kc´s last blog ..Jewel Box from Empty Cassette Boxes =-.

5. Fanboy Wife says:

Am I the only one who can’t see the picture?
    .-= Fanboy Wife´s last blog ..Buffy’s Ode to Cyclops =-.

6. val says:

haha! your cat looks like he needs a drink!

7. Tee Thompson says:

*Laughing Silently* Yes, that’s what I said. Did you ever laugh so hard that no sound could come out? You sat there “ha ha ha” ing in silence. Maybe a little wheezing sound as your upper body bounced and you bent forward a bit hoping to stop the train wreck so you could get some air? Yeah, the kind of laughing where perfect strangers walk up to you and pat you on the back and lean over to look into your face with concern; stupidly asking if you are ok; when they can very well see that you are, in fact, NOT ok; you can’t stop freaking laughing. You look at them helplessly while your body continues it’s bouncing and tears roll down your cheeks.

Well, DID you? Huh? NO!!!??? Really? Well I did, just now. Thanks for sharing your freaking cat in a skully cap… I think!

People in Starbucks want to know what you did to me BTW. I’m sending them to you for explanation.

*wink*
    Tee

8. Amy T. says:

I’m pleased to announce that the third attempt of this hat was actually a success and it is the warmest hat I’ve ever owned.

9. Becky E. says:

Perhaps the pic is misleading. Other than the obvious size mishap, I think this is a perfectly beautiful hat. And I am glad to hear the third time was success!