It’s fail time of the month

I recently joined the wide wide world of reusable hygiene products (well, I made some for someone else). In my research on the subject, I came across several free patterns, including one that ingeniously tessellates so there’s no wasted fabric. [Jan Andrea’s tessellating pad pattern]

I got my recycled pajama pants and old towels together to create an earth-friendly upcycled product. Well, like many craft failers, I’m not too fussy on the accuracy of cutting (or sewing, apparently — check out the top right edge of the pad), so my first reusable pad (on the right) looked mighty funky when I turned it inside-out. Sort of like Sloth from Goonies.

“Hey you guuuuuuuuuys!”

I didn’t even finish it, but decided to just go the less-refined but more normally shaped route and just zigzag around the raw edges of the outside. I think it looks better that way, although I have since learned that those pointy little wings are standard on a finished tessellating pad.

Hey you guuuuuuuuuys!”

p.s. “tessellating” is when the same piece fits together when it is tiled, and there’s no waste between the pieces.

H from Dollar Store Crafts

11 Responses to It’s fail time of the month

1. Melissa says:

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of cloth! Second, my first cloth pad fail included me being clever and sewing my name as the channeling…backwards because I forgot to mirror the letters as I sewed. There went some organic bamboo velour down the drain, I was so embarrassed I didn’t even take a picture.
    Also, love the post title!
    If you want to see more homemade pads I admin a flickr group called Love of Clloth, lovely items. http://www.flickr.com/groups/loveofcloth/
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Wednesday on Wednesday =-.

2. Haley says:

Hey you guuuuuuuuuys! That cracked me up!
    .-= Haley´s last blog ..How to Make Sock Garters =-.

3. Jan Andrea says:

Hee! I’m in a craft fail! I’m tickled, actually :D When I designed the pattern, I really wanted wider wings, but couldn’t get the tessellation to work with broader ones. Maybe I’ll have another go at it soon :) Sorry it resulted in a fail for you. I tend not to care a whole lot how my (personal) finished pads look, since I’m just going to bleed on them, but for gifts, I could see you’d want it to look nicer.

4. Kate says:

Great, now reusable pads and Sloth are inextricably linked in my mind, forevermore. Thanks. A lot. :-P

5. val says:

I am DYIN! That is hysterical. I am a bad person, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to bring myself or daughter around to reusable pads. As it is, she still dry heaves during her ‘time.’ (she just started and is 12) Could you imagine me suggesting we use them again? hahahahahahaha! That is priceless!

6. Pingback: Eight Cheap ‘n Easy Craft Tutorials | Croq Zine - The Blog

7. nasty! says:

This is so nasty I can’t even imagine you’d be giving them as GIFTS?!?! Who the heck wants reusable maxi pads for their birthday!?! YOUCH!

8. @Nasty: too bad people can’t see your awesome fake address you came up with: [email protected]! Ha ha ha! :)

It was for a frugality swap and the person asked for them. Thanks for your comment!

9. Lori Strout says:

just to let you know the pad works just fine and you can make the center wider I make mine with a longer front and longer wing but I serge mine right side out no turning and I use minky or bamboo.

10. Lori Strout says:

nasty must through out a lot of clothes if she gets blood on it… for the mother and daughter if you use these your period gets lighter and fewer days for most woman am I right any one else have that happen.

11. brandy says:

What is this? 1895? No thank you on the reusable pad front. If I ever want to lessen the impact of my “carbon footprint,” I’ll use a Diva Cup, thankyouverymuch.