Pregnancy + Bleach = CraftFail

by WhistlePea

I saw this tutorial for spiffing up t-shirts with bleach via the Make + Do blog and I thought it would be a great way to bring some maternity tops back from the junk heap.  For some reason every t-shirt I have gotten from Thyme maternity has ended up with strange grease spots after one wash. But just the ones from that store.  I looked like I was manning a chip truck all day.  Super gross.

First, I tried the stencil method on a dark purple long sleeved tee.  I copied a stencil from Lotta Jansdotter’s Simple Sewing for Baby onto freezer paper and blotted the bleach on with a rag.  The only problem was I wasn’t so careful and ended up with bleached blobs on the rest of the shirt.  Plus, the freezer paper didn’t hold up to the bleach and the design ended up less than crisp.  So, I soaked the whole thing in the sink with bleach hoping it would dye evenly.

Not so much.  But still fairly wearable.

T-shirt number two is the most epic of all the fails.  I thought I would daintily draw a heart on with a squeeze bottle as the tutorial author did.  The bleach flooded out of the bottle, soaked through the thick newspaper lining and left both sides looking more like a boob window than a heart. Ugh. I don’t even want to share this but in the name of learning from my mistakes:

This one’s definitely going back in the trash bin.

For some reason I didn’t abandon the nozzle method completely and thought I’d have more precision with the  pink nightmare under my belt.  I went for a wispy fern design on t-shirt number three. I got this:

Not totally heinous but the random dots of bleach on the sleeves and back hardly speak to a professional hand.

This is not to mention the fumes that probably shrivelled the poor fetus’s developing lungs and the little dot of bleach I got on the good t-shirt I was wearing. You can’t win ‘em all!

12 Responses to Pregnancy + Bleach = CraftFail

1. Cindy d says:

I like the first one. Totally wearable. The second, well, you’re right. I think the third one looks like a pretty good representation of a ribcage. They sell shirts very similar to that at Halloween!

2. Dena says:

Thanks for sharing your fail! I can only imagine what I would’ve felt like when I was preggers too. I would’ve been hormonal and in tears and would’ve beaten anyone mentioning a craft fail – love your humor!

3. tina mcgraw says:

bless your heart. t shirt number two made me laugh out loud! not because i am laughing at you, i can sooo relate to trying to accomplish things and they go sooo badly. i am gonna have to put some of my trash worthy stuff on here, new to the site. and believe me, i have some trash worthy stuff.

4. Kimberly says:

Love the last one. Either a really sad Christmas tree, or a bad X-ray. Too funny!

5. ROFLMAO (Well not exactly rolling on the floor, but definitely chuckling!) That second one with the heart is hilarious. Loved your description! That kind of window needs a curtain. Can you imagine how cool that would look? Could make an excellent Craft Fail part 2!

Thanks for bing such a good sport and sharing your projects!

6. Amy Allred says:

I am laughing so hard at the boob window shirt. Cracked me up, with tears in my eyes….thank you!!

7. Tawna says:

OH. MY. HEAVENS.

seriously. Sitting here on my couch, at night, alone. DYING because I can’t breathe because I am laughing so.dang.hard.

Thank you. Thank you!!!

8. ~Severeine~ says:

Oh, no! I wish I would have seen this sooner:( What you have to do is cut out your shape on contact paper and stick that on the shirt. Put lots of newspaper or towels between the layers and then use a spray bottle to apply the bleach. Let it sit, rinse it, and peel off the contact paper. Works like a dream. Now if only it could wash out the guilt of being too late..:'(( BTW, I like the shirts anyway. Kind of a prego punk thing;)

9. C.K. says:

LOL LOL LOL OH BOY LOL LOL LOL !!!!

10. Zombiemommy says:

#2 Looks like the Alien escaped.

11. E.T. says:

Probably too late for these tshirts, but for anyone out there that have done this kind of oopsie, don’t toss the tshirts… recycle them into tshirt yarn.

a quick google search will find you many links for instructions on how to make tshirt yarn.

12. Katherine says:

My first thought on looking at the last one was: “Skeleton!”