Nylon Baby Doll Fail

From: Catalina
My website: Up the hill, both ways

I found this adorable tutorial on making dolls out of nylons stockings. The lady was quite good, and she made it look so simple!

nylon baby dolls
inspiration dolls – click photo for original project

Check these babies out!

So, after finding some rudimentary nylon colors at the local Walmart, I set out to try it. Now, the master claimed that it takes her about 30-40 minutes to make them (Unless I mis-read – I had to have the original Russian instructions translated online!). After two hours, my first creation emerged.

nylon doll fail

She is…well..memorable, for the lack of better word. I truly hope that my poor deformed spud-Goblin doesn’t give anyone nightmares.

nylon doll fail

Feeling ambitious (and having another nylon sock left), I also made a toy (an albino rodent with malformed limbs and disproportionately large butt) for my Gio. He seems to like it :)

25 Responses to Nylon Baby Doll Fail

1. Tammy says:

I feel your pain. will you keep trying new ones?

I’ve been working on sock dolls for a few weeks now and they are just awful. Will be posting those here soon!

2. angie says:

This brings a smile to my face. When I was a child I had a book of projects and one was to carve a face into an apple and then you sit out and it shrivels up. It kind of looked like these stocking dolls. Thanks for the memory :)

3. Thank you so much. I’ve had some dirt stuck in my eye most of the day. I laughed so hard that I cried and I think it washed the dirt outta my eye. I feel so much better now.
    Like Angie above I tried to make the shriveled apple doll when I was about 11. It was a major craft fail. It was ugly, smelled funny and attracted ants in our kitchen. My mother was not amused. It also ruined the Barbie dress I tried to put on it.

4. Angie K. says:

LOL! This reminds me of the “cabbage patch” dolls my Mom made when I was little. Remember when they were selling for megabucks? Mom decided she would make me & my sister dolls. We thought they were pretty cool at the time; however, my sister found hers recently & it is scary. The head had became mishapen & the painted on eyes had faded off…looks like something on a horror film. My son won’t come near it! Good luck on your next project…love your site!

5. kesami123 says:

I’m sorry yours turned out so…different. But I LOL’d for real. Oh man, that’s fantastic!

6. Deborah says:

I think some spit flew onto my screen from laughing so hard! Sometimes failure is better than if you had succeeded.

7. Dandi says:

I laughed and laughed and laughed!!! I’m sorry it didn’t work out, but kind of glad too. Thanks for posting this!!! Love it!

8. Susannie says:

Lol!! I laughed so hard

9. PJ says:

Sweetie,

Thanks for a good laugh! I am not laughing at you, I am laughing to see that I am not the only one who tries new crafts and they just don’t turn out like they should!
    (yes, your dolly made me laugh too~ Here’s a thought, make it a garden gnome!

Good luck in your crafting endeaveors
    PJ

10. Jo says:

holy cow- i am laughing so hard! thanks for sharing- awesome. we have all been there with a craftfail :)

11. Zombiemommy says:

The first time I saw this picture, I snorted and drooled laughing so hard…

12. jen says:

I just laughed so hard (at work)!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while!! Not just the photo, by the way, but your description, too!!! Awesome!!

13. Thanks for the middle of the night chuckle! I remember my mom used to make something similar but in a jar with beans. People come up with the strangest ideas!

14. Willyb says:

Oh dear lord. I. Can’t. Breathe. Bwahahaha! Thank you SO much for sharing this.

15. cindy says:

lol, this is so funny! thanks for sharing.

16. Stephanie says:

I laughed so hard I was crying! It took me a good 5 minutes to finally settle down enough to finish reading haha. Thanks for sharing your cute little spud people!

17. katie says:

I have laughed to the point of not being able to breathe!! I also had one of these spud head dolls made as an attempted craft project by my mom when I was about 5 years old. She bought a kit at the store at my insistance because it showed a blond haired ballarina doll…well…our finished product was a bald head baby (we couldn’t get the yarn wig on). I, like your son, loved the doll though and played with it. Thanks for bringing back this hilarious (but sweet) memory :)

18. Dionne says:

I haven’t laughed so hard since my last craft disaster, saw it on Steven & Chris today and had to share with my friends. You are so brave putting this on, but I’m glad to know I’m not alone!

19. Sonya says:

Can u please send me the pattern? I would love to make these dolls but the tutorial on them just keeps sending me pix & nothing else. I have lost most of my sight so its hard for me to see anything on this! Thank u so much!

20. @sonya, Sorry, we don’t have the pattern!

21. Sarah says:

My mum used to make doll heads like these when I was a kid! OK, “doll heads” sounds a bit creepy. They were tiny little happy faces which she glued them onto pen caps so when you had a few in a desk organiser it was like having a little collection of friendly people staring out. I’m not doing them justice, they really were cute and I’ve just made them sound terrifying. Anyway, I think this sort of thing works better if you make it tiny, it’s much harder to make them lumpy if they’re really little.

22. Pingback: Blogtabulous issue one Hollow Tree Ventures

23. Amurchanka says:

I tried to make it too. I think autor didn’t tel that she had experience for a long time. My doll was not pretty like her.
    I have seen the original project in the Internet from China.It was amazing!
    I’d like to show my doll, but I coudnt attach it here.
    But the first step is always not good. So try to do it again, but look at another lessons.

24. Sherylin says:

I saw this on Steven & Chris today and had to look you up… Didn’t realize how old this post is… I had the best laugh evaaaaahhh!

25. emperorT says:

These things were called pickled heads when i was little. you made a bunch of heads and stuffed them in a jar often sealed with a cloth.