Marbled Nails… uh, nailed it?

Who knew how popular nail art would become? Before Pinterest, we didn’t even know people were doing cool nail art. Now we can’t get enough of it! Nails that look like hamburger buns (or just burgers and nails together), Super Mario, or even nail art tutorials like the very popular marbled nails technique.

marbled nails

inspiration image: victoriac7.tumblr.com

Sadly, not all nail art is a win.

Twitter and Instagrammer XDanielleX shared her “nailed it” moment with us…

nailed it

marbled nails fail

Looks like the marbled nails technique takes a little bit of practice! Do we dare say… Nailed it?

Tell ya friends on Pinterest:

marbled nails pinterest nailed it

12 Responses to Marbled Nails… uh, nailed it?

1. irasema says:

My sister and I attempted marble nails a couple of weeks ago too. unfortunately we do not have the epic craft fail pictures. in the end we did manage to achieve the marbling. our mistake: did not use filtered water. surprisingly, it make a HUGE difference!

2. N says:

It also helps if the container you do the marbling in is glass, not plastic – I can’t really tell what you used from the picture, though. I used a plastic tub my first time and it was dreadful…

3. Erica says:

OMG when I saw these marbled nails on pinterest I got out a cup instantly to try it and they turned out exactly like the fail picture. I was soo upset. Glad to know I’m not the only one! lol

4. Fotini says:

This is a great technique for our nails but needs a lot of practice!The object that we gonna use should be shallow to dip the finger vertical.Also,i think the water temperature should be at room temperature!In case of cold water it would be a total failure!In order to avoid soiling your fingers you can put vaseline around the nail or tape!!!

5. Erika says:

i have used the Water Marbling technique a few times, and my first time was a disaster.. i have nail polish all over my fingers much like the picture above… the trick is tape your finger… from the side of ur nail to the top by ur cuticle … turns out way better

6. Bobbi says:

OK, this is one pin that actually works….if you do it right. Some tips:
    -Use filtered, room temperature water. It actually makes a big difference.
    -Make sure your nail polish is too thick. New ones work best but old ones will work too.
    -Use tape around you nails so you it doesn’t get all over the place. You’ll still get some nail polish around your nail bed but that can be cleaned easily with a cotton swab and nail polish remover.
    -Glass cups work better than plastic, but plastic can work also.

7. Bobbi says:

Sorry I meant ISN’T too thick.

8. J~chan says:

I’ve never seen someone attempt it on real nails, just falsies.

I’ve heard of putting vaseline around your nailbeds will help with removing anything that bleeds onto the skin but I don’t know if it would work for this.

9. Maretta says:

I tried this today…. To funny I stumbled on this… I found that my first nail turned out the best… But it was a lot of work getting the mess off…. I used Vaseline on my nails but it is hard to be super accurate. I would recommend getting a friend to do it or do your friends nails.

10. Pingback: A Photo Collection of Pinterest Fails | Magic 106.3 FM

11. Heather says:

Try again! My first attempt came out terribly but I took off the polish and tried again and it was much better. The super cheap $1 nail polish from the drug store works the best.

12. Abby says:

I knew this would have been a fail for me, so I chose not to go this route… however on my journey of ball at & the web I found “dry marbling” Google it! this one is no where near as precise with the ingredients & idiot proof. I know because even I could do it without messing it up, & I think it’s even more beautiful as there is more control over the marbling pattern.