Pinterest Fail: Loom Me Up a Hula Hoop Hat

Well, while Pinterest is deeply diverting, there is a strong element of “Buyer Beware” involved in some of the postings. Craft ideas that look awesome are evidently photographed and performed by professional artisans; it’s also possible that I am incompetent. I submit to you as evidence:

Hula Hoop Rug

A fail story by Anonyvox,

I had seen the hula hoop rug idea in the Disney Family Fun magazine (which is a GREAT magazine if you have kids under 10 in the house–lots of rainy day activities in there).

hula hoop rug

inspiration: hula hoop rug from Family Fun Magazine

I have half a dozen hula hoops of varying sizes (because I am a badass hula hooper, believe it or not) and Mr. Vox has plenty of t-shirts to cut up for scrap, so I have made this project twice.

Item #1: Rice Paddy Rug

hula hoop rug hat

The first time, I wove the shirts WAY too tightly, so I have a sort of Asian-inspired rice paddy hat made out of t-shirts. It’s not too useful.

Item #2: The Rug Bowl

I made another one last week, and while it is better, it is still kind of bowl-shaped. I don’t know what you could do to fix it, frankly.

hoop rug fail

Nailed it.

hula hoop rug nailed it

Or should I call it: The Fail So Nice, I Nailed It Twice.

nailed it twice

18 Responses to Pinterest Fail: Loom Me Up a Hula Hoop Hat

1. Anonyvox says:

Okay, now I’m LMBO at the captions. That’s me, all right!

2. @Anonyvox, I was sorely tempted to send you that image when I made it, but I decided to let you wait it out. Thank you so much for the awesome fail. It is my personal favorite when people photograph craftfails wearing them, so let me thank you twice. -heather

3. Stacy Firks says:

We had a similar fail with our hula hoop weaving. Solution: Weave another bowl-shaped thing, sew them together and stuff for garden cushions. Win!

4. Amy says:

My guess is to get rug to lie flat you would have to weave even more loosely. I am not weaver but your examples look like what happens when you try crochet a flat circle like a doily, but either work much too tightly or don’t add enough increases.

5. Rebecca says:

You do have to weave them loosely or you will end up with a bowl/hat – whatever. One note – they do not wash at all! I made one with all white t-shirts – had to wash it after dog layed on it – fell apart into a million strips of t-shirt

6. Anonyvox says:

Hey, good idea with sewing them together to make a cushion! That might be kind of pretty. What sort of thread would be durable enough for that kind of thing? (I’m as much a sewer as I am a weaver, clearly.)

7. Pingback: Oh, Pinterest…Crazy, Crazy Pinterest… | Anonyvox

8. 3GoatMom says:

I couldn’t help giggling – I thought it was me too. Love the idea of putting the 2 together though – never thought of that. I would use more of the t-shirt strips to sew it together.

9. lisa says:

I made couple of these with the same result as you. We use one as a bowl and one as a cat bed now.

10. katie says:

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I even put it on my head as well! hahahaha I’m hysterically laughing to myself now thinking about it. Mine wasn’t nearly as colorful, but I also think it’s because it was woven too tightly. Mine’s a basket for my cat’s toys. c’est la vie!

11. cassie says:

@Anonyvox i would use uphoulstery thread, its thicker and more durable, but not too tough to work with.

12. lori says:

My guess would be that the “spoke” t-shirt pieces were too tight. If they are looser, then the whole thing won’t bunch up once it’s completed. If the spokes are too tight on the hula hoop, another solution might be to stop weaving sooner (thus making a smaller rug) so that when you cut and tie the spokes, they have the chance to loosen up. :)

13. Molly says:

I had the same result. My kids wore it as a hat.

14. This exact thing happened to me trying to make this t-shirt rug! Sombrero anyone? In fact, I believe it was my first real pinterest craft undertaking. But, I will carry on…

15. Kelly says:

Try “blocking” the rug. Get it wet and stretch it out flat using a board and nails. Let it dry completely in that shape and it should stay. I do this with doilies tgat end up bowl shaped.

16. anna says:

Resin it and make it into a bowl!!!!

17. bethany says:

She cut the hoop off >.<

18. LaurieLye says:

Haha, I did the same thing last year… woven too tight! Luckily I hung onto it and discovered recently that it makes a great cat bed. :-)