Pinterest Fail: T-shirt Ruffle Scarf

My love for Pinterest is well-established. But sometimes even the best relationships hit a bump in road. Meet my bump in the road, otherwise known as Pinterest Fail.

T-shirt Ruffle Scarf Fail

by Every Day Pretty,

Here’s what it was supposed to look like:

ruffle scarf

inspiration: ruffle scarf from The Pink Peony of Le Jardin

Some friends and I thought it would be fun to try making this t-shirt ruffle scarf at a Pinterest party recently. (We also all brought food we made based on our Pinterest pins – yum!).

The scarf seemed easy enough – cut up an XL t-shirt, do a little fabric stretching and voila.

Alas, it did not worked out as planned.

tshirt scarf

Mummy, anyone? Through a combination of strips cut too thin and overstretched fabric, I ended up with this sad heap of shredded t-shirt. Not exactly something you want to show off.

tshirt scarf craftfail

I’m blaming the good conversation – distraction certainly played a role.

ruffly scarf nailed it

10 Responses to Pinterest Fail: T-shirt Ruffle Scarf

1. Katie says:

Haha, thanks for the, er, compliment! This scarf was definitely not one of my finer crafting moments, but it was fun! Love the blog :)

2. Joanna says:

If you watch the video link she posted this scarf requires to cut circles out of the shirt instead of strips,then cut curly strips from the circles and stretch. Try again you can do it!

3. Rachel says:

I tried to make this exactly how they said with 2 shades of green, and royal blue. I tried it on, and instantly I looked like a swamp monster. hahahaha

4. Aurelas says:

You could probably salvage it by dyeing it–tie dye would be fun! Or maybe you could sew beads or spangles or something at intervals on the edges to make the outline more defined and give it a less mummyish appearance.

5. Lindsey says:

My brother’s girlfriend made this scarf for me for Christmas this last year; the one she made looked just like the picture. I love it.

6. Nancy says:

Rachel:I don’t laugh out loud much. You made it happen though. Thank you!

And yeah, to save myself some embarrassment, I wont disclose just how many hours and money I put in to making these bleeping things look right. Never happened. I went so far as to ask professional seamstresses ‘wtf’ AND STILL!! Nada.

I’m beginning to wonder if it’s one of those things that only looks good in a picture…?

7. Pingback: 20 Hilarious Pinterest Fails | Bored Panda

8. Pingback: Pinterest Fails: not every craft project looks like Martha made it – Avocado Sweet

9. Renee says:

I actually like your “fail” better. I think it makes a much artsier more interesting piece. I copied the pic and am going to try and replicate it.

10. Pingback: 20 Hilarious Pinterest Fails | Fun Crazy World