First World Problems: Straight Talk about Pinterest

pinned from google image search

What are your Pinterest Peeves? Do you hate it when you can’t find the original source of an image? How about when people pin photos from Google Search (I mean, REALLY?)

Do you practice good Pinterest Etiquette? Do you have opinions on what makes a pleasant pinner?

copied instructions

What are the weirdest things you’ve seen on Pinterest?

Do you have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest?

reposted project

Did you know that ideas aren’t “from Pinterest”? Each and every pin is crowd-sourced material that comes from all over the internet. If you blog about something you found “on pinterest,” link to the original source of the material, not the pin itself.

We love you, Pinterest.

12 Responses to First World Problems: Straight Talk about Pinterest

1. Hilary says:

I can’t seem to find the answer to this question: is “repining” the same as pinning from the pin itself, or is that different? I thought if I repin it would go to the source the original pinner used, is that correct or am I a bad pinner? I try to always check to be sure I have the right source but sometimes it’s just a cute idea and I don’t have time to check. I try to have good etiquette, but I’m not sure anymore.

2. I try to be careful about what I pin and repin but it’s still the internet, somebody will still see your good idea, take it, and market it as their own. Fact of life. I think watermarking images is the only sure-fire way to make sure your material doesn’t get used elsewhere.

3. @Hilary, as long as the original pin goes to the URL where the original source is, you’re fine to repin.

4. Marie says:

Before there was Pinterest, I saw many people writing “Photo Credit : Google Images” under photos they placed to illustrate their articles… that should be the same persons that today say “from pinterest” !

5. Mae says:

I am not a photographer, don’t even really have a camera. I use google images for my gardening pins to show what I am planting. Should I stop doing that? They always link back to the original source, I check every one. I don’t want to steal people’s wonderful work. Thanks for any advice

6. Denise says:

What drives me absolutely crazy is when ppl pin a recipe and in the description write, “yummy” or “got to try this”. Well what the heck is it?! So I click the pin just to find out it’s chopped tongue or haggus or some other thing I wouldn’t put in my mouth.

7. Nella says:

I started a board that was tongue in cheek. And to my surprise, people re-pin the very items I’m trying to make fun of! Surprise, surprise, surprise. Either they don’t get that I’m making fun of that particular thing, or they don’t care (a good image is a good image, to them).

8. tracie says:

When people re-pin spam. Can’t they tell by clicking on the pin where it goes to? But hardly anyone does that. I go to all my pins and pin from the original source. I hardly ever re-pin. You can almost always tell the spam too, the ones with the overly adjectived description that takes up half the page!

9. Alex says:

1) People who don’t describe their pins making them impossible to search
    2) Pinterest’s search engine sucks. You search for one thing one day, good luck if you can find it again the next day. Oh but you will find 100 photos of the SAME photo. They need to fix that.
    3) Credit. Should be a given. It never is.
    4) They never ever ever ever respond to emails. I’ve written in twice now. I’m still waiting for a response from last Fall.
    I could go on…

10. Pingback: Read All About It 9-10-12

11. Cari says:

If someone puts your recipe or directions in the comment, report it. Pinterest will delete it in a few days. I wish they would inform the pinner of the no no, but they don’t.