Mess Free Toddler Painting — What could possibly go wrong?

Toddler finger painting inspiration

inspiration: the Hippie Housewife - click photo for instructions

Any parent of toddlers knows that when a craft can be mess-free, that’s awesomesauce. Jasmine from I Am Moms sure thought so, when she came across this great Mess-Free Toddler Painting Activity at The Hippie Housewife (by way of Pinterest, of course!) The kiddo gets to feel like he is painting, but the icky squishy paint is encased in a plastic bag, and therefore, the mess is contained.

What could possibly go wrong?

toddler paint fail

Have YOU ever tried to set up a nice, neat activity for a toddler? Like in Jurassic Park, life finds a way… to make a mess.

In the account of I am Mom Attempts a Pinterest Craft: Jasmine wrote: “When we presented this to I Am Toddler, he wanted to pick up the paper and shake the entire unit around.  That threatened to detach the bag from the background paper.”

mess free paint fail

What do you think? Did Jasmine Nail it??

toddler painting nailed it

9 Responses to Mess Free Toddler Painting — What could possibly go wrong?

1. Jennifer says:

I did this with a couple kids I babysit… They LOVED it! For one thing, you have way too much paint in that bag… for another, see how in the Pinterest pic, the bag is taped to the table so it can’t move? So maybe you don’t want to tape it to your table, I didn’t either, so what I did was tape the bags to a couple whiteboards that I got from the dollar store…. this way they can sit with it on their lap…. as long as the kids followed the rules of how to play with it, they could “paint” as long as they liked!

2. stephanie hays says:

ok. I have to agree! I tried this my classroom of two year olds and my mess-free art turned into a total disaster!! while changing a diaper one one of the students was swinging the bag of blue paint around. I know! My bad! should have taped it to the table! But I didn’t and the little guy was strong! He hit the bag of paint on a corner and it literately exploded! Blue paint was everywhere! All over children, walls, tables, mats! DISASTER! All I could do was laugh. It was that or cry! Learn from my disaster!!

3. Ellysa says:

Tried it with my class of 8 one year olds. I DID tape it to the table. And yet they have sharp little fingernails, managing to rip holes in the bag. Or they pulled the tape up. Maybe it just wasn’t age appropriate, but it’s supposed to be clean painting for TODDLERS.

4. Monique says:

I tried this with my 5 year old. While I think this is better suited for toddlers I had no disasters. We even used dollar store ziplock bags.

5. Merd says:

My 3-y-o sat down, looked from me to the paint bag a couple of times, smiled, and…totally bit into the bag a la vampire with a blood bag. At my house there is simply no such thing as a “mess-free toddler activity.”

6. Okay I did this with my 4, 6, and 8-year-old siblings (all three at once) and all went smoothly! For one thing your paper isn’t even IN the bag, and you have a ton of paint..

7. Jennifer says:

I have a one year old and a three year old. They both loved this activity. As long as the bags are taped down, they can do it independently. I can keep an eye out while getting other things done and there is hardly any clean up. YEAH!! LOVE IT!

8. Aryn says:

It’s easy to fail at things when you don’t do them like the instructions say! Clearly the first one was taped to the table. Umm…duh.

9. Kristy says:

I too tried this when my daughter was 18 months. I followed the instructions exactly (yes the bag was fully taped to the table). I set it all up, put my daughter into her booster seat, showed her how it worked, and settled in across from her with the camera waiting to document my budding artist. I watched with excitement as she prodded to strange colorful bag but that soon turned to horror as she dug her pointy little fingers into the bag and pulled, effectively ripping it open. Unfortunately I just couldn’t move fast enough to stop the carnage that ensued when she began, after being disgusted by the new goo all over her fingers, to cry and fling her hand about. It looked like a crime scene. Red paint splattered everywhere including on a poor innocent bystander…our white dog.