String Balloons – Nailed It

string balloons inspiration

string balloons inspiration by Juicy Bits

Helen saw this cool craft where you cover yarn with glue then wrap it around a balloon. The idea after that is to pop the balloon when the glue is dry and Voila! you have a cool hanging lantern.

Or not so much.

string balloon nailed it

Helen definitely NAILED IT!

string balloons on pinterest nailed it

26 Responses to String Balloons – Nailed It

1. Kellie says:

thank god! I thought I was the only string ball failure!!!

2. Trish says:

I have only ever seen this project done by coating the yarn/string with liquid starch, not glue.

3. Kellie says:

Can you use powdered cornstarch dissolved in water?

4. Rhonda says:

I’ve had good results using Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener!

5. niki says:

soak the string in watered down glue (syrup consistency). carpentry grade ponal will work

6. miria says:

this is beautiful! i made something that looked like this, but yours turned out better!i threw mine across the room!

7. y says:

the same xact thing happene to mine and i was doing it for centerpieces for a school luncheaon and we nailed these so we ended up doind cherry blossoms by taking real twigs and sticking pink paper crunched up on it. they actuall looked nice

8. Ashley says:

I tried liquid cornstarch, a recipe which I got off the net and mine turned out the exact same way… I am so glad I wasn’t the only epic fail!

9. mio says:

I’m a string balloon failure too!!

10. Jennifer says:

I remember doing this at camp when I was younger…. and I seem to remember them just using watered down white glue (watered down to make it soak into the yarn better)…. mine worked out perfectly…. my mom actually still has it >_< that was some 15 years ago! lol

11. Pingback: saturday morning funnies | ott mama

12. Nicole says:

I used to make these all the time with string and sugar water.

13. Pingback: Handmade Without the DIY | Manolo for the Brides

14. Becky says:

These make great hanging lamps. Just leave a small “hole” at the top and a larger “hole” at the bottom (to get the light bulb in and out) when you are wrapping the yarn. Once it is dry, run the cord/chain for hanging up through the ball, secure the fixture in place, and hang the lamp.

15. Kathy says:

Got it to work (not quite as beautiful result as the example, but not bad) with liquid starch and glue mixed.

16. Pingback: 17 Pinterest Fails - EyeOnCelebs

17. Pingback: Pinterest Fails: not every craft project looks like Martha made it – Avocado Sweet

18. Ashley Kitt says:

Last year I tried the ones that are supposed to be like easter eggs and failed! This makes me feel much better.

19. Pingback: 20 Hilarious Pinterest Fails » Addicted to Humor

20. Pingback: 17 Pinterest Fails | TheseNews.com

21. Pingback: A Photo Collection of Pinterest Fails | Magic 106.3 FM

22. June says:

Your outcome looks good compared to mine! LOL

23. Pingback: 20 Hilarious Pinterest Fails | Fun Crazy World

24. Hinky says:

Oh gosh ya’ll make me feel so much better! I tried this with the string and powdered starch making it into a thick paste consistency. First off I soaked the string in the starch then wrapped it around the balloon.. That in it’s self was a challenge. String kept falling off when I’d wind it around to the other side.. Anyway long story short mine looked like the sunk in ones..So if anyone knows EXACTLY, step by step how to do this, I’d love to know I have gone out and bought glues now so I will try the starch and glue together..I will let you know if I succeed… Please if anyone does it and it stays together, post it here Thanks!

25. Sharyn says:

Kite string and a mixture of sugar and water. I also put food coloring in the water.

26. Pingback: Pinterest Fails