Epic CraftFails of History: Cupcake Cones

ice cream cupcakes nailed it

Those pesky ice cream cone cupcakes of doom. This is not the first time ice cream cone cake has epically failed for one of our intrepid craft failers. Facebook fan Tanya Z. graciously shared her cupcakes cones that weren’t…

In the unlikely event that YOU fail, we hope you will share too!

inspiration image: Betty Crocker’s Ice Cream Cone Cakes

ice cream cupcake cones epic fail

ice cream cupcake fails by:

17 Responses to Epic CraftFails of History: Cupcake Cones

1. Lauren says:

This same thing happened to me when I tried to make them for my sons birthday!!! Has anyone ever figured out how not to fail? :)

Lauren
    laurenslittlecraftyplace.blogspot.com

2. Jonah says:

Actually. I have. The secret is to bake the cupcake individually and THEN place it in the cone. There’s a perfect video on Youtube that shows you exactly how it’s done. Once the cupcakes are baked, you peel the paper off and flip them upside down into the cone. Then frost them like ice creams. You can fill the empty space between the bottom of the cone and the cupcake with candy, or break another cupcake and stuff it lightly! Here’s the link to the video!

Howdini! Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD3WBqSAfEs

The secret is out! Now go out there and make everyone at your party jealous! :)

3. Chuck says:

i made a grid out of bamboo skewers and laid it out on top of a roasting pan. slipped the cones in the squares. worked fine.

transporting them, with frosting on top, was an entirely different story.

4. Kiersten says:

The cupcakes were probably baked beforehand, then set down into the comes, then iced.

5. Kathryn says:

Actually they don’t taste as good if you bake the cupcakes first, and it’s a pain in the neck to shape just right to get in the cones. Here is what I do and so far haven’t come up with a better way:
    Take a cupcake tray and place tin foil over it, poking a small hole in each cup. When you place each cone in the hole, the tin foil helps keep them standing up right while baking. Fill each cone 2/3rd full with batter and bake 20min or check with toothpick to tell when done. They are so yummy, worth another try. Good luck!

6. Carrie says:

that’s what frosting is for. Lots and lots of frosting.

7. Laura says:

I make these all the time and they work out great. Fill the cone halfway full of batter and make sure you stuff aluminum foil around the sides of each muffin tin, very easy!

8. Ashley says:

WHAT?!?!?!? Your all crazy! I don’t understand how you can screw these up!!!! I made th fort sons 2nd birthday and just last week!

9. Kendra says:

My mom used to make these all the time — they were a hit at school events for years. She never ruined them. Not sure why it’s so difficult via Pinterest.

10. K@B says:

LMAO. I have actually made these successfully and they were a huge hit, a long time ago. But this post still made me LOL!

11. Crika says:

LoL I love this site…but I’m a little stumped on this one. I made these with no problems at all, it was really simple actually and the kids loved them!

12. JP says:

We made this as a Girl Scout project back in the 80s with no problem. It probably helps to make a batch of the minis and use that as the mound if yours don’t rise well.

13. Sirs says:

I started making these about 5 years ago. The first time I tried it…epic fail. The trick is to put the batter in the cupcake tin first, then turn the cone upside down on top. The cupcake will bake up into the cone and you’ll have a nice surface to frost.

14. Christine says:

HI…I made cone cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday party two weeks ago….

I too had failed at this – then…I made a regular cupcake – poured batter into a lined cupcake pan and put the cone (I used flat bottome wafer cones) right into the cupcake pan….each cupcake had a cone in it – halfway though the baking , I moved them if they had drifted or tilted…….and viola!! Once frosted, it doesn’t matter if the cone has ridges from peeling away the liner…..!

Good luck!

15. Doné says:

I’m not a good baker/cook. I made these for my son’s school for cupcake day. And it succeed.
    Don’t use a mix that needs oil.
    Only fill the cones three quarter.
    I’ve baked it in a small muffin pan.
    Make these on the day you need them.
    Transport: use egg carton. Works perfectly.

16. Azcaitify says:

Never made these, but I’m surprised by how rude the people who have never had problems are being. Good for you. Go eat your cupcake cones with your smug sense of satisfaction. Don’t ruin the vibe of the site. Thank you to those who nicely informed the rest of us how they did it, though.

17. Gungnir says:

@azcaitify, I wouldn’t deny others a measure of satisfaction for having succeeded at cupcake cones when others have failed–some hilariously–most offer a tip on how they came about their success. After all, if we didn’t have people who can make pretty things to inspire us to create our epic failures, however unintentional they are, there would be a lot less laughter and memories to share :) And I sense that some of the success stories have a triumphant tone to them: “wow! I did something right…for a change!” So craft on!