Melted Marshmallow Frosting – Nailed It

marshmallow frosting

Melt a marshmallow for frosting, says Real Simple . Photo by Jim Cooper.

We had an impromptu birthday party on our patio the other day (even though it was nobody’s birthday). That’s just the kind of fun mom I am. I used up a Halloween funfetti cake mix to make some quick cupcakes, and because I didn’t want to spend time making frosting, I thought I’d try a trick I stumbled across on Pinterest once upon a time.

According to Real Simple, you can melt marshmallows on top of your cupcakes. Just pop them on top of the cupcakes about three minutes before you are due to take the ‘cakes out of the oven. (I won’t go into HOW you “pop” marshmallows on top of round cupcakes… SPOILER: Marshmallows don’t like to stay on top of cupcakes.) Let the marshmallow warm up and then squash it down for instant no-fuss frosting.

marshmallow topping fail

You can see mine worked well.

And then I squished the marshmallows down, because maybe that is what I was missing…

melted marshmallow topping fail

Hmmm… nahhhhh.

melted marshmallow frosting - nailed it

10 Responses to Melted Marshmallow Frosting – Nailed It

1. Vone says:

Same thing happened to me, I thought it was because my marshmallows were old. They were still tasty but a little chewy.

2. Emma says:

Lightly wet marshmallows will stick to the cupcake, and they also melt easier because the water helps to break down the sugars. If you do it right, the water evaporates off, so you don’t leave any “watered-down sugar” on the cupcakes.

3. Mariah says:

I’ve made these a handful of times and they always turn out well. They’re a little tricky seeing as how the marshmallows tend to slide, but if you keep a close eye on them, just open the oven and tip them back to the center. I also pressed down on the mallows once they were done. They are dreamy and totally addicting. Whoever made these didn’t try hard enough.

4. @Mariah, I made them, and I am fully willing to admit I didn’t try hard enough.

5. Rebecca Ednie says:

Whoever did these has obviously already overcooked their cupcakes too!

6. @rebecca – that would be me! (the baker!) Woot!

7. Danyel says:

The same thing happened to me! I thought I was going to be all Betty Crocker and make these for a party. . .. well brought them anyway just renamed them Danyel’s Ugly as Sin but Still delicious S’ more Cupcakes. Haha

8. Amy says:

Somewhat snooty attitude in the comments here…

9. Pingback: Nailed It! Cupcakes or Cupfails?

10. Aly says:

Agreed Amy, how rude. Well I guess I am a slacker too because I tried these and yeah………. they slide off and don’t look like “frosting” as they do in the pinterest photo. So the perfect people shush and let us underachievers share in our misadventures.