Pinterest Fail: Rubber Band Spray Paint Vase

rubber band spray painted vase

Inspiration vase by Escape From BK

When Adriane from For the Love of Painting saw these cool spray painted vases made with rubber bands in her Pinterest stream, she knew she had found her Inspired by Pinterest project for the week. She excitedly gathered the supplies and got to work.

What made this a TOTAL disaster?

Paint leaked under the rubber bands

Paint did not dry under the rubber bands

Paint Peeled from the glass

Didn't turn out like she wanted!

Visit the full fail post at For the Love of Painting: A Pinterest Fail

Visit the inspiration post at Escape from BK: Rubber Band Lamps

rubber band vase nailed it

20 Responses to Pinterest Fail: Rubber Band Spray Paint Vase

1. nicole says:

ha, yea – mine were worse than these, but I pitched them without a picture!

2. Rob says:

I actually like yours better!

3. tameka says:

Me too rubber bands and i tried yarn.. didnt work

4. Kelley says:

Actually, I think those look great! They look like birch logs. I think they are cooler than the originals.

5. Vickie says:

That’s exactly how mine turned out. Luckily, I bought my vase from dollar tree so I was okay with wasting a buck! Good try!

6. Caitlyn says:

I did this before turned out beautifully. I used the frosted spray paint . Sprayed the paint on there and let if dry for about 5 mins 9 until almost dry then stretch the bands out so that it wouldnt touch the glass and it worked very well. I will say that you have to make sure that the rubbermans are twisted to bent before you spray.

7. Jackie says:

I like it! It looks more like branches.

8. Sarah says:

I love yours better! it looks like branches! more character

9. Tt says:

I think u may have used too much paint or were holding the paint too close to the vase…iI did this project and it looks amazing! Def try to go light on the paint…u can always add more :)

10. Heather says:

This is more of a “don’t know how to use spray paint” fail.

11. Brittany says:

I love yours so much more than the actual pin!

12. Kathy says:

I saved the original to my Pinterest account too. Hmm, not so anxious to try it now. Thanks for the heads-up. :-)

13. Taylor says:

I did the same thing and mine turned out actually better than the picture did. I used watermelon pink spray paint, a butt load of rubber bands (at least 20). I did multiple layers to keep the color popping and bright. It worked really well.

I added an inch or 2 of sand at the bottom and added a tea light, it works and looks really pretty.

14. Fabiola Rios says:

I think that those vases were not made with rubberbands because they are well done. (I THINK), the way it should be done is: make some straight strips of contact paper on a paper cutter, clean your vase very well with VINEGAR (vinegar makes the paint not come off when pulling the contact paper off). Put the strips of contact paper on vase after cleaning it. Spray the frost paint on in VERY light coats. I think that Heather sprayed heavy amounts of frost and that’s why her vases didn’t come out right.

15. michelle says:

i’ve made these with the frosted spray paint and they turned out super cute. you’re rubber bands have to be tight so paint doesn’t run under them and light coats of paint as others have said.

16. [email protected] says:

You have to use paint for glass. Spray paint likely doesn’t work. I found instructions on how to do it with glass paint and using foam brush. Also suggested finishing with modpodge or clear finisher.

17. Amy says:

You have to make sure the rubberbands are laying flat against the vase, not twisted. This will help the paint not seep under. Think of it as painter’s tape, you have to have it flat against the surface to prevent leaks.

I made one of my own, and my lines came out nice and clean.

18. Ree says:

These look great the others look too commercial.

19. Lu says:

The first ones I tried came out beautifully. I used rubber bands – short ones then a long one doubled over and spray painted in 2 coats. I then bought a cheaper spray to make more and they were a disaster, the paint fell off when it dried. I suggest making sure the glass is super clean with a vinegar rinse then choose the spray carefully. Really the good ones are fabulous and I intend to make many more for spring and summer candle holder gifts.

20. Pingback: Frosty Striped Vases and Pom Pom Flowers | Ali Does It Herself