The Pintester Takes on Mini German Pancakes

I have to admit, I saw these on Pinterest and went, “No effing way,” so I was pretty sure this was going to be a big fat fail from the very beginning.

Image from Real Mom Kitchen

Also, I’ve had bad luck making things in muffin tins and doing mini versions of things, so I was prepared for disaster.

I was not wrong.

Luckily, I cut the recipe in thirds, which involved some ninja math skills, and a little bit of not caring how much 1/3 of 1/4 cup of butter is and just effing guessing. So I only had to throw away 8 of them instead of 24. Small blessings.

Because the post warns that these little bastards stick like hell, I made sure to grease the cupcake tin like my mom taught me, way before partially hydrogenated things were considered “unhealthy.” I used Crisco.

Living on the EDGE… of hypertension.

Throughout the baking process, my skepticism began to rise, puffy and sponge-like, until it was a nice golden brown. So did the pancakes.

I was expecting them to cave a little when I took them out of the oven. They caved less than I thought they would. I was actually kind of proud of the stoic little things.

But how did they taste? Well, not like pancakes. More like French toast made with stale Wonderbread drowned in way too many eggs that had already sort of begun to scramble before you cooked it. So… not good. When I was done with my taste test, I got one wet and used it to scrub out the muffin tin, so that gives you an idea of the texture, too.

It’s true, I didn’t have any delicious preserves or anything to put on them, but honestly, it would have been a waste of delicious preserves.

My recommendation? Skip this one, unless sponge pancakes don’t sound gross to your family.

To see more of Pintester’s tests (most of which are also CraftFails), check out her blog at Pintester.com.

23 Responses to The Pintester Takes on Mini German Pancakes

1. Emily says:

ewwwww. I think that’s the biggest problem with this recipe–it’s not MEANT to be made in mini sizes! There wasn’t enough room for the batter to spread out and it was so thick that, yeah, it just ended up like scrambled eggs. I love Dutch Pancakes, though, so give it another try in a normal pan. This was my attempt at it and I loved it–like a giant, sweetened popover! http://agiltnutmeg.com/2012/04/20/lemon-sugar-dutch-baby/

2. F Saunders says:

Have you ever had a yorkshire pudding or a popover before? The taste you describe sounds remarkably similar to these. I can understand it might be gross if you are expecting fluffy pancakes. They are very much not fluffy pancakes. Yorkshires and popovers are supposed to be eggy bready pastry things which are delicious when smothered in gravy and filled with shredded roast beef. Quite a traditional English roast accompaniment. I could see them being equally tasty filled with jam or cream.
    Under the right circumstances, these eggy bready pastry things are delicious! : ( I’m sad that your first experience did not turn out well : (

3. Katie Lynn says:

Um…I think part of your problem is you had all those empty muffin spots. You’re supposed to put water in them, which keeps the temperature of the pan down (and even). Otherwise your muffins (or whatever) are overcooked on the outside and raw in the middle.

4. Pintester says:

Seriously?? What sort of baking voodoo is this? I did NOT know that. I am now adding it to my list of knowledge, though. Next time, I will know how to properly grease a muffin tin AND make it heat evenly.

5. schmancy says:

Uh. So, you didn’t follow the recipe, and it didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to. Who would have thought?

6. Babs says:

As I scrolled I was thinking exactly what Schmancy was thinking. In baking, in general, you can’t “half” or “third” (WTH?!??) a recipe. That was the waste of money.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that these would work anyway – I have my doubts about most pinterest recipes. It’s why I don’t try them. But you can’t knock a recipe (or FAIL it) when you didn’t MAKE the recipe and created your own.

7. Jamie says:

you should try the sock-bun curls thats on pintrest!

8. Jen says:

I’ve tried these before as well with the full recipe and they turned out very similar…much disappointment was felt that morning.

9. Pingback: Mini German Pancakes | Pintester

10. kme says:

Agree with Schmancy – follow the recipe and you might have success. Also, it seems like you “failed” because you didn’t get the taste/texture of an American pancake. That’s just a fail on your part for not knowing what to expect from a German pancake.

11. Heather says:

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong here, but I’m pretty sure you all get a giant “F” when it comes to humor.

12. Lisa says:

Thank you for your site. You seriously made my night. A friend posted your German pancake attempt on facebook and I laughed so hard little tears leaked out of my eyes. I will definitely be coming back and checking out what else to not waste my time trying. Love it!

13. Katie Allred says:

Love this ! The anal girls that write in to help or correct your methodology are fun to read and silently trash and pity actually.Thanks for the laughs and realism. Katie

14. Paige Killingsworth says:

Made these, too. Much the same result, only I smothered them in spiced peaches. They remind me of a crepe. Not really much flavor; better when warm. Maybe I’ll add a little Splenda next time.

15. I love German pancakes, and they are like thick crepes or popovers. This site makes me laugh and I’m grateful to those who share their fails. It takes talent to present them so funny when you feel like throwing things or crying. So thanks for the laughs. I’ll skip these minis because I’m a pig and usually make mine in a full skillet on the stove… and eat two! They are just that good. lol

16. Becca says:

Mmmmm…we LOVE full size German pancakes around here. Especially with a buttery caramel sauce. I wouldn’t dream of eating the pancake without a topping but they make handy vessels to deliver delicious syrup. :)

17. Lynn says:

I vote you retry them, using the correct muffin tin and recipe and then let us know again. I have to admit, from your pictures this doesn’t look very promising. But it’s hard to say fail when the first attempt wasn’t completely correct.

18. N says:

Well the mood in this blog has certainly soured since I started reading it years ago :/ The nature of this blog is to have a good laugh about crafts that have gone wrong, not to titter and criticise. Lighten up, people!

19. Stephie says:

This ist so funny. I made these back in summer. The whole thing. 24 cuppancakes. And I also got sponges that tasted disgusting. They even totaly looked like yours ^^ I’m glad that I’m not too stupif for making them ;)

20. Amanda says:

I think that a lot of the people saying you can’t third or half a recipe don’t understand chemistry.

21. lizzie says:

I’m just saying when it comes to baking German anything it is always precise. I have been there and learn from my grandmother and if I measured wrong it never worked out that’s why they weight there ingredients.

22. kathi says:

loved the tutorial on using the leftover pancakes as “scrunges” to clean the pan. Now, that was a crafty technique you won’t find anywhere else… but here. !!!

23. Rheana Bass says:

“I got one wet and used it to scrub out the muffin tin”

Oh my word, BEST line ever lmao, I laughed so hard.