No Sew Pillow Cover Done Wrong

no sew pillowcover

Inspiration project: No-Sew Pillow Cover from Organize Your Stuff Now

Reader Melissa stumbled across this great no-sew pillow cover project from Organize Your Stuff Now. She thought, “I have lots of extra fabric from another project, and some nasty, kidified pillows.” This project seemed like just the right easy craft to tackle in an afternoon.

Why not?

No Sew Pillow Fail

Oh. That’s why.

No Sew Pillow Cover Nailed It

9 Responses to No Sew Pillow Cover Done Wrong

1. Sydney says:

Pintester did this too, and it turned out pretty similar to this one. I think you have to have the perfect amount and type of fabric, but when it’s that specific, just sewing a few straight lines would be easier, right? :D

2. Neko says:

I’ve been wrapping pillows for years, and this is truly not a difficult project, though it can take a few tries before you achieve the right result. Actually, the amount and type of fabric does make a difference, but by far the biggest factor for success is the THICKNESS of the fabric. A thinner fabric wraps tighter without squeezing the pillow, and it also gives you a much neater knot. A soft, thin, drapey fabric works best … an ultra-large square silk scarf, for example, which is perfect for an 8″ or 9″ square pillow.

I always look through the scarf bin at my local resale shop for big square scarves, just to do these pillows. Large sarongs work well, too, and long rectangular scarves can be folded and tucked with similar results.

You can go one better on this project by using a couple of small belts to keep the wrapping in place, instead of tying a knot. This is especially good with rectangular pillows. I collect vintage belts for just this purpose. Or, instead of making a knot, you can feed the ends of fabric through an elasticized bracelet or scrunchie (or even a napkin ring), then tweak the ends into a nice poufy kind of flower.

There are dozens of variations on this idea, so have fun and keep trying! Persistence definitely pays off.

3. Blondie says:

I did this project and it turned out just fine. I think your pillow was too small or you had too much fabric.

4. MKErin says:

Forget the pillow. Why hasn’t anyone mentioned the fact that this person took what looks like a screen shot of the open camera app on her iPhone? That’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. I think she may be clueless in more ways than one.

5. Melissa says:

Mkerin, my phone froze after I took the photo and I had already unwrapped the pillow, so I snabbed a screenshot instead of purposefully recreating a failed attempt.

6. amber says:

Geez MKErin, give the poor girl a break! Who cares about the photo, the point is how funny it is to try “simple” crafts and have them end up like this (pretty much EXACTLY like my pillow tonight ended up when I tired this same thing!). I decided to just use some iron on hem, like this one :

a few more steps, but turned out closer to the photo in the posting. Good luck on your next craft!

7. Reagan says:

I did this my first time using a thick, oriental looking satin damask. It was super easy and turned out fabulously. I think part of it is the pillow-I used a well stuffed firm pillow.

8. Sarah says:

I love the comments on this web site (not just this post)to the effect of — I made this before and it was really easy. Basically telling the craft fail poster they are an idiot for not getting it right. Jeez! Way to kick someone when they are down!! I think it’s awesome that they posted their fails all you “experts” to enjoy.

9. Nance says:

Sorry, this pillow makes me think of a straitjacket…