Pinterest Fail: Cut Wine Bottle (Ouch)

wine bottle vase

Inspiration: Cut Wine Bottle Vase from Picklee

Reader Becky M.  tried to make this DIY Cut Glass Wine bottle she saw at Picklee.com. The technique is not for the faint-of-heart as it involves soaking string in a flammable liquid, lighting it, plunging into ice water, and finally, broken glass. A few of my personal phobias are represented on that list.

Becky said: “I had a beautiful bottle from Truro Vineyards on Cape Cod that is in the shape of a lighthouse. I thought it would make a wonderful vase.”

wine bottle vase fail

“Not only did I fail but I had two casualties — a chunk out of my thumb and a ruined manicure.”

Avert your eyes if you can’t stand the sight of blood!

anatomy of a craft fail

Beck definitely did a double nailed it on this one!

wine bottle vase nailed it

9 Responses to Pinterest Fail: Cut Wine Bottle (Ouch)

1. Shannon Baker says:

I have that same wine bottle from truro, I put a wick in it and made an oil lamp :)

Sorry about the manicure and thumb :(

2. Elyse says:

I tried cutting a wine bottom once with a Dremel after seeing directions on how to do it, and it was a craft fail too. I think there is no good way of doing it.

3. Heather says:

You need a glass cutter, and unless you do stained glass, don’t bother. Even then, you REALLY have to know what you are doing. I think the problem with this one was the kind of bottle being used, but I still would never try the method suggested.

If you cut or sand glass, you need water being constantly added. That’s how a glass grinder works.

4. Jennifer says:

Actually, water is not required for cutting glass. It is used when sanding it to cut down on the dust, which is damaging to the eyes. The right way to do this would be to score the glass with a diamond wheel glass cutter, and it’ll break on the score line. Then it can be sanded smooth with a belt sander (generally 80 grit.)
    ** Cut and play with glass for a living.

5. Donna Adams says:

Cutting wine bottles can be done with FANTABULOUS results. The best way to do it though is to let the provider woman in the world do it. Deana Rohrs Vail of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina does AMAZING things with all kinds of glass bottles. She owns a company called Groovy Green Glass. Look them up on Facebook or etsy. (She even makes jewelry out of it!)

6. Donna Adams says:

that should read grooviest not provider lol stupid predictive text!

7. Amanda says:

Yeah…this is up there with the pin floating around about using a toaster oven to make a cheese cutting board by flattening a bottle in it. Can you slump a bottle flat to make all kinds of awesome things? Absofreakinlutely. I teach art and we do all KINDS of things with recycled glass as young as 5th grade. Is using a toaster oven (or acetone flaming strings) an even remotely safe way to do it? There aren’t enough ways to say no on this one. It also doesn’t work as you found out.

To cut a bottle you can either score it with a glass cutter an use alternating baths of hot and icy water. Or get a tile saw and a garden hose.

8. Miriah says:

We actually tried the Acetone soaked string technique, and it came out pretty straight and perfect. I needed to replace a bottle lantern that had fallen and broken. I’ve used a Bailey’s bottle, and normal wine bottles.

9. Pingback: Cut Bottle Bust | CraftFail