The Pintester Takes on Corn Dog Mini Muffins

Y’all, it’s too hot for baseball. And that’s saying something, considering I find nothing more patriotic than baseball pants. But it’s never too hot for corn dogs, an all-American baseball game staple, and I found this super-cute pin on how to make mini corn dog muffins:

I’m me, so I didn’t make my own cornbread. I used Jiffy. But in my case, this actually increases my chances of success. Just trust me on that.

All began well, and my ego soared with the hope that this pin would actually work. My domestic goddessery, although maybe a little late, was finally kicking in, and I would whip this project into shape.

They even looked awesome when I pulled them out of the oven, I assumed because I was so smart and checked them frequently, as the blog post indicated, so as not to burn or dry out the delicate cornbread.

And then I took them out of the muffin tin.

I figured maybe the first one was a fluke, and now that I had the hang of it, the rest of them would be easier. The next one came apart too, in an appalling manner.

Cornbread sex toy, anyone?

I must conclude that I am cornbread impaired, because I made a tin of plain cornbread along with these, and the plain cornbread stuck, too, so it wasn’t the muffin tin’s fault, or some magical hot dog chemistry. The common denominator here is me.

Aggrieved, I pried the rest of the muffins out of the tin with various levels of success– mostly low, truth be told. They were a pile of mess, and didn’t look appetizing at all. I gave up halfway through the second tin and just ate them straight out of the tin with a fork.

However, the silver lining on this project is that they tasted pretty awesome. They’re ugly as all hell, so there’s no way I’d bring them to a party, but for me and my dog to share, they’re fine. I guess they’re kind of like the faded sweatpants of corn dogs.

To see more of Pintester’s tests (most of which are also CraftFails), check out her blog at Pintester.com.

28 Responses to The Pintester Takes on Corn Dog Mini Muffins

1. LeJerk says:

Hey, at least they were tasty. I am always up for the “well, more for me then!” approach…also I love Jiffy

2. Beck says:

Ok, one must ask…. did you grease the pan first?

3. pintester says:

I used Pam– which was apparently the wrong thing to do!

4. polymathamy says:

For better success… chop the dogs into smaller pieces and mix into the batter; mix in some shredded cheese too if desired; and use paper liners in the pans to make sure they come out whole and party-worthy :)

5. Rae says:

Maybe make them in cupcake holders next time. That’s how I make my corn cakes. So much easier and less mess too!

6. Traci D. Haley says:

I made these not long ago and they turned out great! I used paper liners, though, so no stickage… and I used a mix, but put in a can of corn and some pepper jack cheese, and instead of hot dogs I used cheddar lil’ smokies that I cut in half and stuck in 4 pieces… they were pretty AND delicious :)

7. Somer says:

Use some football themed cupcake papers and then take them to a party!

8. Nicole says:

I have made these before and the best way is to grease with butter for the best chance of them coming out of the pan without falling apart, or using the paper liners (and spraying Pam in them) Corn bread is delish but it is a sticky bastard.

9. Amelia says:

lol I made these Saturday. Apparently I am as talented as you and they came out horrible! Kids had fun picking at them =0)

10. Lizbeth the K says:

You NAILED it!

11. deanne says:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one!! I also made a lovely Jiffy corndog mess! I found that filling the pan less – full increased the odds of them coming out better. They tasted great but next time I will use liners.

12. Christine says:

The best way to do corn bread in general is use lots and lots of butter (no low fat here) and preheat the buttery pan in the oven before pouring the corn bread batter in the pan. I generally use a glass pan and never have had a problem…..normally the whole pan of bread will pop out in one piece and the edges should be golden brown and crispy. I know it’s an “old school method” but hey it always seems to work!

13. stellans says:

well-seasoned cast iron will also work very well. I have my grandmother’s cast iron muffin pans I used for this recipe and they came out perfectly. (Didn’t use mix because I’ve found it really isn’t much harder to just mix from scratch when need be.)

14. tamdoll says:

Oh no! I bet they were tasty though! Cast iron pans are great, but they are super heavy.

15. Nella says:

It looks like the hot dogs sank in the batter, creating the holes. I think you should reserve some of the cornmeal and dust the hot dogs with it before putting them into the uncooked muffins next time. (You know, how you dust raisins before putting them in a cake, so they don’t sink)

16. Pingback: Write For a Living: Check | Sonja Foust

17. Anoymous says:

Ive made these. They were simple. You overfilled the pans and didn’t spray with nonstick spray.

18. pintester says:

Uh, not to get overly defensive, but I TOTALLY sprayed. Heh, sprayed.

19. Pingback: Corn Dog Mini Muffins | Pintester

20. Curlygirl says:

I hate to say this, and maybe it’s just me and my sister who think so, but they look like boobs!

21. April says:

the trick to cornbread is to definantly pre-heat the pan before pouring in the batter.

22. AnnaNonamus says:

No, they TOTALLY look like boobs to me, too. That was the first thing I thought, with the rounded ends sticking out. Yep. Boobage.

23. Wannabecrafty says:

I agree with curlygirl, they totally look like boobs.

24. busymom says:

I agree with Polymathamy – - cut it in little pieces, if you can get it out of the pan, it’s really hard to get a little hot dog with every bit. More like one bite and the rest is cornbread. I like Traci D. Haley comment about adding the corn. I made as directed and Jiffy was much better, not worth the fuss of homemade batter.

25. Nancy Everly says:

I am still sitting here laughing at your description of the whole process. What a great story with a so-so ending. You are just sooooo funny!

26. cheri weeks says:

Same thing happened to me! It’s the dog, I used good quality dogs, to much grease, so the bottoms did not want to come out, but they tasted great, lol!

27. ryan says:

Mine came out the same the first time- we now use cupcake liners and its a family favorite!!

28. Connie says:

They look great! Next time try spraying the pan with bakers joy. It keeps my cornbread from sticking. :)