The Pintester Takes on Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies

You guys, sometimes I get drunk and need cookies. It happens, ok? And these are about the only times when I am at all tempted to bake anything. But when you’ve got a drunk craving for cookies, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I searched Pinterest for “super simple cookies” and these came up.

Perhaps I should not have used “natural” peanut butter for this recipe. I tried it on a whim and then decided I didn’t like it because “natural” is apparently code for “sort of oily.” But that’s what I had in the house, and I didn’t figure it would be a problem. I was wrong. Even as I mixed, I knew.

The instructional post wants you to scoop these and then roll them into balls, but when I tried that, I just ended up with super sticky peanut butter all over everything. I even stuck the whole thing in the refrigerator for a while in the hopes that it would, you know, unstickify or something. No dice.

So I did the best I could and plurped sort of ball-ish shaped globs onto the cookie sheet. I realize this is not pretty, but give me credit, at least, for soldiering on. (I really wanted some damn cookies.)

Guess what the next step of thumbprint cookies is. I’ll give you a hint. It involves making a thumbprint in your cookies, which is kind of impossible if they’re really, really sticky.

When life gives you sticky-ass cookie batter… well, you make sticky-ass cookies. So I spooned my marmalade in there (the only jelly I had in my entire house) and hoped for the best.

When they came out of the oven, they were really, really soft so I let them sit for a while, but I probably should have cooked them a little longer. They remained sort of soft and yucky even after completely cooling.

But, they were cookies. And I was drunk. And I ate a bunch, because even natural peanut butter cannot really mess up a cookie when you want one that bad. So maybe don’t use natural peanut butter and try to make them when you’re sober.

To see more of Pintester’s tests (most of which are also CraftFails), check out her blog at Pintester.com.

8 Responses to The Pintester Takes on Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies

1. gwynne says:

oohh my goodness! i made these this weekend, too! now, i don’t know what recipe you had, but mine said to bake a while BEFORE making the thumbprint and adding the jelly. just a thought. it might help ;)

2. DianaM. says:

I’ve made these before which are very similar http://kitchenrunway.com/peanut-butter-jelly-oatmeal-cookies/
    The key differences though are: 1. refridgerate! 15-20 minutes while your oven comes up to temp. 2. I used those 1 inch cookie scoops with the trigger so you get exactly the same size cookies. Then I used the back of a teaspoon to create the indentation. Then I used that same teaspoon to scoop out the jelly.

3. Elyse says:

I’ve made regular thumb print cookies before when I really wanted cookies, but didn’t have a lot of ingredients in the house, and they’ve turned out great. I’ve never tried it with peanut butter… but now I kinda want some peanut butter and jelly thumb print cookies. I wonder if peanut butter cookie mix is cheating.

4. Pingback: BlogHer, BlogHe, BlogThem, BlogErr’body | Sonja Foust

5. Here’s how you should fix it.

Just kidding!

Hahaha. I have no idea how to fix it. I’m sure the failed batch was still yummy though (I mean, who cares what they look like when you are drunk – coyote ugly cookies, right?).

6. Cookies says:

If you are still looking for these, google the recipe for “Tenderheart Tarts”…they are amazing and awesome and they WILL work…I had them over and over as a kid and I still make them. Delicious.

7. kathy says:

People why so serious? She was drunk…Sonja do you have a drinking problem? Fabulous!

8. Pintester says:

Kathy, I don’t have a problem with my drinking, so no. No drinking problem. ;)