DIY Shredded Jeans

Inspiration Image by The Little Giggler

Reader Melody read a blog post from The Little Giggler about upcycling dark, flare jeans, into pastel skinny jeans:

I had a pair of dark, flare jeans and I thought, hey why not? Its much cheaper than buying a pair, right? So, I got started. I took the pants in, so they were skinny jeans, and everything was going swimmingly. So, I bleached them. They came out nice and white and were ready to dye.

This was where the initial problem came into play. A hole had formed at the seam of one of the back pockets, but I was not going to let that stop me! I figured out a cute way to patch it with lace once the jeans were completed.

I put them in the dye, using the directions on the package and let them soak until the color I wanted. As the dye directions stated, I then washed them on delicate with warm water. I was super excited and I even went out and bought lace for the patch. When I got home and looked in the washer, these jeans were SHREDDED. They were falling apart in my hands as I tried to take them to the trash.

Needless to say, this was a COMPLETE failure.

shredded jeans craft fail

Thanks for the submission, Melody!

Don’t forget to snap a picture when YOU have a craftfail! It’s easy to submit!

DIY dyed skinny jeans -- nailed it!

20 Responses to DIY Shredded Jeans

1. Elo says:

So, any hint on why this happened?

2. Courtney says:

It looks like the Incredible Hulk wore your jeans. Too bad they weren’t purple.

3. I’m guessing too much bleach– it eats cotton.

4. Oh no! When I saw the title, I imagined that maybe there were a few tears here and there. These are fit for a zombie!

5. Becky says:

That was my first thought when I saw that pin, too–using that much bleach would totally destroy the integrity of the fabric. And with something that fitted, I’d be afraid to wear them out–one wrong move and you might get some very awkward rips!

6. tricia rhoden says:

I wouldnt recommend bleaching “today’s jeans” they arent real jean material like they used to be many are cotton. i would attempt to bleach in parts not submerge the entire pair of jeans in bleach for long periods of time

7. Patty says:

These shredded because of the bleach. I’ve tried before. You have to leave dark clothes in bleach forever to get them white, and the bleach weakens the fabric to the point of shredding.

I bet most of these Pinterest posts that are Fails.. I bet the original recipes are flat out fabrications.

Get it? *fabric*ations? I crack me up. lol

8. Stacy says:

If the bleach had been properly neutralized this probably wouldn’t have happended.

9. Miranda says:

Those look cool I’d wear them over black skinny jeans or leggings:)

10. Ulla says:

Chlorine bleach weakens normal plant fibers (cotton), but the amount of time required to take dark jeans to white would completely dissolve the touch of lycra most jeans now contain. 3-5% of the fiber content disappearing would probably cause the structural integrity of fabric to react in that way.
    This is why most clothing with elastic or which contain lycra instructs you not to use bleach. It’s also why swimsuits used in pools fade and lose shape so radically over time.

11. Kellyjdrummer says:

@Elo, yes, I know. That’s what chlorine bleach does. Science 101.

12. Linda says:

Not sure if this stuff is still available or not, but Rit Dye used to make something that stripped color without using bleach.
    You have to boil it in a big pot on the stove…its been more than 20 yuears since I’ve used it, but I remember it worked very well at removing color. It does stink the house up with toxic fumes!

13. ZM says:

omg I’m so sorry this happened to you, but I could not stop laughing when I saw those shredded jeans!!!

14. Steve says:

Yep – looks good to me.
    (I’m a husband).

15. Paige says:

I have dyed many things and have ended up in this position on more than one occasion. The trick is to keep an eye on the pants in the bleach, removing them as soon as the colour is gone. Also, it helps to use real denim jeans as today’s “jeans” are generally a combination of cotton, spandex and acrylic, which bleach will just eat.

Better luck next time!

16. Emily says:

I did this once with a denim skirt in high school. Bleached it, thought “Oh, look at me, I am so creative…” Threw them in the wash, and once they were done I was picking shreds of denim out of the wash.

17. Eric says:

The girl in the “Before” photo is at least one jean size smaller in the thigh region and is considerably fairer skinned. Neither the jeans nor the girl wearing the jeans are the same in the “After” photo as the before photo. Even if the belled bottom of the jeans were cut I still doubt they would be able to be folded up to the ankle in the fashion that they are. That being said .. the waist on the jeans that are shredded an on the dryer .. is a 36 or 38 waist and the jeans in the “after” photo is more like a 28 waist and no amount of shredding could cause the waist which is still completely intact to stretch 4 or 5 sizes. Nothing about this is true .. I bet it’s just some fat girl who wanted people on the net to believe she looks good in jeans like the “Before and After” photos she is passing off as herself. Completely false.

18. Melody says:

@Eric
    The “before” photos (of the dark flare jeans and the pink skinny jeans) are from the tutorial from pinterest. The shredded jeans on the dryer are the ones I (yes, I am the tester of this pin) tried. I never took a before photo of the jeans that I bleached, because I did not expect them to be shredded. So, in conclusion, I am several sizes bigger than the girl in the before photo, but the jeans are not the same.

19. Snuggaloo says:

This is an old post, but in case someone comes back to read this and wants to know how to prevent it. This happens when too much bleach is used but also the brand of jeans. For ref, Gap Jeans, and higher priced/end jeans bleach AWAY better than say Old Navy or other throw away trend jeans.

Also if you do not neutralize the bleach, it doesn’t just stop because you have washed the jeans. You must take the steps needed to stop the bleaching process. I usually do this with a special recipe that I have made up, which I can’t tell since its my buisness. But there are lots of useful tuts on how to do this, which are totally suitable.

A lot of higher end dyes carry colour removers that can lightening jeans, but not to white. But enough so you can dye them another colour.

20. Hohummm says:

In the original pin, those aren’t even the same jeans in the before and after pictures.