Cupcake Cone Catastrophe

You know what kids love? Ice cream. Know what else? Cupcakes. And also? Surprises.

cupcake cones

So what could possibly be a better treat for kids than an ice cream cone that – SURPRISE – is actually a cupcake? Nothing, which is why Allison of Motherhood, WTF took a break from her usual laugh-until-it-hurts humor blogging to bring us this delightful and easy Cupcake Cone tutorial. Now we can all make them and become the Best Parent/Aunt/Babysitter/Classroom Snack-Maker Ever (a title we can enjoy for roughly five minutes or until all the cupcake cones are gone, whichever comes first).

I imagine that was the plan when JD from HonestMom.com set to work, armed with a muffin tin and a dream.

Cupcake Cones - not so sweet

Cupcake Cones – not so sweet

Perhaps a little generous with the batter, JD overfilled the cones, which resulted in this lovely waterfall effect. Hurry up and eat the evidence while the second batch bakes! They still look delicious to me.

Cupcake Cone - nailed it.

Now before you comment to tell us what we did wrong (although, we DO love that), this particular craft has proven to be a tough one and is one of our Epic Craftfails because we get this project submitted so often. Don’t believe us? Check this out: Epic CraftFails of History: Cupcake Cones.

Did you fail at this project too? Don’t forget to submit it so we can all laugh at you together.

For more funny, visit Robyn at her blog, Hollow Tree Ventures!

14 Responses to Cupcake Cone Catastrophe

1. Danielle says:

I too, have fallen victim to the cupcake cone idea. I had to make “healthy” treats for my son’s Christmas party last year so I decided to make apple cupcake ice cream cones. I didn’t overfill the cones, but the apple filling made some really big air bubbles and the stupid batter stuck to the pan. I ended up having to fill some big holes with copious amounts of frosting. So much for healthy. The school district probably has me on the “no treats” blacklist. The good news? The kids and teachers loved them anyways!

2. robyn says:

Danielle, I say the other good news would be making it onto the “no treats” blacklist!

3. “Armed with a muffin tin and a dream.”

Yep, that’s me. I have a dream. A dream that one day, I will make cute confections for my children, so they too, can enjoy the delicious treat that is cake in a cone.

*sigh*

4. Amanda says:

My mom always made these for me as a kid. 30 yrs later, I have tried and failed numerous times. Why? Who the heck knows. My mom is a goddess. Me. Not so much.

5. Aurelas says:

Wow, actually I think they turned out pretty well based on the fails I have seen for them! And you can always shave off that extra cake with a butter knife and once the icing is on, no one will ever know :D

6. Kaatlyn says:

After totally failing at these a few times I decided to just spray the cupcake pan with cooking spray and fill it with the batter. Then stick the cone into the batter upside down. It worked really well. The cupcake bakes up into the bottom of the cone and the top is more rounded like a real ice cream cone! I have done it this way many times and it hasn’t ever failed! Hope this will help!

7. robyn says:

@JD, clearly yours are lofty aspirations. I admire you for trying – you don’t see ME in the kitchen!

8. robyn says:

@Amanda, I hear you. My mom has really screwed me over, self-esteem wise, by being so awesome. :)

9. robyn says:

@Kaatlyn, I’ve heard people say to bake them upside down before, but not explain how to do it – thanks for the tip!

10. joysgirl says:

I would have thought that this was fairly easy to do since as a child in grammar school the lunch ladies served these up on a regular basis. I loved them! I wonder what the secret is…..

11. robyn says:

No way, @joysgirl! We never had these at my school. What a ripoff! I guess I need to give lunch ladies more credit for their cooking skills, though – I tip my hat to anyone who even *tries* to make these!

12. magi says:

Even though it failed. You could still get creative with the overflow and ice it to look like that particular cone was melting ice cream. :)

13. kathleen says:

Oddly enough, I’ve never had a problem with these. Fill about 2/3 of the way to the top, and put tinfoil at the bottom to keep them from falling over. Also, I use boxed cake mix. I like things easy.

14. Connie Wakeman says:

The trick is to fill only 2/3 of the way. Set the muffin pan on the oven shelf and place the filled cones in the pan. Slowly closing the oven. As to any batter that overflows. Cut it off and put the icing on it. Remember we cut cakes before frosting to get them even or to shape them. The kids really only want the frosting so use plenty to hide the imperfections and quit stressing!