Water Balloon Luminaries – Not So Illuminating

water balloon luminaries

What could set a more relaxing and inviting mood than the soft, twinkling glimmer of candles? That’s the idea behind these water balloon luminaries by candletech - to create a warm, inviting glow using little more than water balloons and some wax melted in a double boiler. “It seemed so simple,” reader Stephanie thought, as she decided to melt, dip, and dry her way to a new zen-like environment.

How could anything go wrong?

Wait a second, I’m not feeling very zen. What happened?

According to Stephanie, water balloons are still just as jiggly as you remember them being when you were a kid. That’s not a problem when they’re being hurled through the air in a good old-fashioned water balloon fight, but she found the jiggles a little hard to control for crafting purposes. When it came to making those unwieldy balloons keep their shape while dripping with scalding hot wax, it ended up being the project that she’d rather chuck across the room.

Also, there was the time factor; all the repeated dipping and cooling and redipping took a little longer than expected. She finally decided she just didn’t have the patience for making luminaries, cut her losses, and gave the whole thing a resounding, “Good enough!” ARE WE RELAXED YET?

water balloon luminaries - NAILED IT

17 Responses to Water Balloon Luminaries – Not So Illuminating

1. JD @ Honest Mom says:

OMG. Hysterical! That’s pretty much how it would turn out for me, I think. Water balloons and scalding hot wax do not go together in my book.

2. robyn says:

@JD: Amen, sister. I’m not sure I can think of any situation in which I could be trusted to safely handle scalding hot wax.

3. robyn says:

@Anna: Right? She was a brave soul to give it a whirl, though!

4. Toulouse says:

Toss that in your acquiring and voila, a rock for your fish to hide behind. #nailedit

5. Toulouse says:

Shit. Acquarium. Damn autocorrect.

6. Mary says:

There’s nothing like a water balloon to make a girl feel crafty…

7. robyn says:

@Mary, if I had a nickel for every time I said that…

8. Lisette says:

Instructions clearly call for PARTY balloons, not water.
    Yours is way too thick. And what are those reddish things in the wax? was the wax at the right temp? How about the water?

I’ve made them, multiple times and after 2 or 3 fails got a nice little luminary. Even better, got some for gifts as wel……..

9. Julie says:

Sorta related but not really. One year I tried to make chocolate bowls but in the directions they never said anything about water in the balloon. It was just fill a ballon with air. Melt the chocolate, let cool a bit, dip balloon in chocolate and there you have the most awesome looking bowl for Easter. Do you know what happens when the chocolate is a little to hot and the balloon pops with chocolate all over it. WOW, you wouldn’t believe that 10 years later I find chocolate in the oddest of spots. It was the worse craft fail ever. Just wanted to share.
    Take care and have an awesome weekend. Blessings!

10. robyn says:

Julie, that made me spit coffee – thanks for the laugh!

11. Aurelas says:

You can say you were going for that gritty urban look.

12. pencilears says:

I’ve made those before at camp, it’s one of two ways we made candles at camp.

you start with a normal balloon and then you have to dip it in cold water after you dip it in the wax. you can’t just wait for it to cool or it’ll cool unevenly.

also at camp we then filled the wax shells with wax after putting a wick in the middle and basically had balloon shaped candles. just gotta get the shell thick enough to withstand the pouring.

13. Claudia says:

Julie, I can’t stop laughing at your account… I’ve seen the balloon+chocolate combo and it never came to my mind. I guess I would have failed in it too.

As for the candle I guess the good thing about wax is you can melt it and start over again :)

14. sara says:

I can’t believe you even got a result! I tried this 2 Christmases ago to make for gifts. The wiggly-ness didn’t bother me, but every balloon ended up popping, water pouring into my wax, wax splashing all over my stove and myself. Complete, utter disaster.

15. Alley says:

LMAO… Why you might ask am I thinking something is funny here, well I am currently sitting here with wax blotches everywhere you might guess and some you wouldn’t. I too found a recipe for disaster, oh wait, it said something of the sort, “beautiful fragrant luminaries made simply with water balloons and melted wax. The instructions went on to say this was a great way to use the leftover candle wax”, but no where did it say to fill the balloons up with water. It definitely said water balloons as any other balloon would be too big. So here I ready to start making these beautiful luminaries only I decided I was going to do it with a twist, dip balloon, then coat with very fine sand and then dip again and repeat. I blew up the balloon, the wax was melted over very low heat, enough just to keep it liquid and just as I was setting the balloon in the wax I thought to myself, “this doesn’t seem right” and POP!! Wax from head to toe and ceiling to floor. Ugh! I guess if I had read one more web page I might have realized it was all a set up. Gee, I really wish it was chocolate, at least there might be some fun getting it all cleaned up.

16. robyn says:

Oh @Alley, that’s terrible! **stifles giggle** I swear I’m laughing WITH you – at least, it sounds like you’re laughing. ;) Great story, just sorry it ended up being such an explosive fail!