Crumbly Crayon Muffin Flop

muffin tin crayons

Here’s one I’ve actually done before (and I have the ruined muffin tin to prove it). I’d like to pretend that I tried this craft because I wanted to do a fun activity with my kids, but the truth is I wanted a cheap, easy gift to give to my kids’ classmates on Valentines Day. Plus, I hate it – haaaate it – when our crayon box gets clogged up with a bunch of broken, unsharpened crayons with no wrappers. I probably need professional help for that, but I’m starting to get off topic.

Anyway, it sure sounded easy enough – all you have to do is put broken crayons in a muffin tin and melt them in the oven at a low temperature. When they harden, you have brand new crayons – and fewer busted, paperless crayon stubs lying around.

My upcycled crayons didn’t end up looking nearly as pretty as the ones above by hands on: as we grow though, probably because I didn’t sort my colors very well and all my crayons ended up brown. Not very Valentiney, to say the least.

But I guess I’m not the only one who had trouble with it – reader Michelle says she and her roommate might have overcooked theirs just a tad.

muffin tin crayon fail

Well, they’re a little shriveled, and I see whole chunks of unmelted crayon in there even though some of the other ones look burnt, and I bet their kitchen curtains still smell a like charred wax. But other than that, I think they came out great!

muffin tin crayon collage

Join Robyn on her blog, Hollow Tree Ventures, where there are more laughs and embarrassing confessions (maybe she’ll even tell you about that time she gave brown crayons to all her kids’ friends on Valentines Day).

8 Responses to Crumbly Crayon Muffin Flop

1. Kyda says:

omg, I tried that once too, and that’s exactly how they looked! :) they didn’t work for crap either! ;)

2. Lori Stevens-Nicholas says:

I don’t want to brag or anything but I did this earlier this week and mine look just like the picture. I did have a craft failure at the beginning because I saw a suggestion that you could put the crayons on a tin foil lined cookie sheet inside of cookie cutters and they would come out the shape of the cutters. Mine all ran out from under the cutters and my cutters are ruined. I will say that I have not cleaned my muffin tins yet but they are in the freezer and I think I can chip most of the wax off before running it under hot water.

3. Kate Meade says:

We did this over the summer with the kids shaving the crayons. A lot of fun, a very big mess and the crayons were not pretty. My two metal mini muffin tins are ruined. I even lined the tins with foil. I am saving them for the next time we do this.

4. Abby says:

I have done these before, but I melted the crayons in clean soup cans on the stove. (Different colors in each can) Then I poured them into candy molds. It worked beautifully.

5. Jessica says:

you needed to use more crayons, and you needed to put them with like colored crayons. all the reds in one, all the blues in one.

6. Maurie says:

I work at a day care and make these at least once a year. You should also grease the muffin tin with Crisco so they will pop out of the tin easier. Cooking spray isn’t strong enough to last through the crayon melting (I’ve almost stabbed myself with a butter knife trying to get them out before.)

7. Angela Steed says:

I did them and it worked great, but I didn’t use metal pans, I used cheepo silicone ones I got at the dollar store.
    I put like colours together. My son loved them! Sorry it didn’t work out for you! Maybe try lower heat for a longer time? I took mine out when they looked glossy on top and they all worked.
    NOTE: Using CRAYOLA is best for this project, as the cheepo crayons don’t colour properly anyway, and the two types melt differently.

8. Katie says:

I did these when I was a counselor at a summer camp. We used them to talk about the rock cycle, so the fact that they had large chunks of crayon didn’t matter. We talked about the crayon remnants as being igneous rock (porous), shaving the crayons (use a pencil sharpener!) as weathering, pressing the shavings together as sedimentary, and the melting as metamorphic. To make it that much more epic, we did this over a propane camp stove (imagine a single burner, balanced precariously, while seventeen 10-year-olds freak out all around you and want to poke their molten crayons).