Pretzel Kiss Candy Treat-tastrophe

pretzel M&M Kiss treat

These little Pretzel Kiss M&M treats from Kinzie’s Kreations (an idea she adapted from TaDa! Creations) should be so easy – just put a chocolate kiss on a pretzel, warm it up in the oven, and press an M&M into the softened kiss. The hardest part is not eating all the M&Ms while you’re waiting for the oven to preheat, right?

Not according to reader Cairsten.

Let me first say I’m pretty bad at baking. I love to cook but baking calls for too much precision for my liking or patience. With that in mind, I figured even I could accomplish these cute little pretzel, Hershey kiss, and M&M creations with a super easy set of directions. Well, I couldn’t. The kisses never melted even after 20 minutes in my oven and the M&M’s just broke most of the pretzels underneath the stone cold kisses. For the M&M’s that didn’t crush the pretzels, they instead created a sink hole of cracked chocolate. Oh well, maybe next time? My students got a good laugh and every single broken one was eaten.

Pretzel M&M kiss fail

You aren’t kidding, Cairsten! Those sweet, salty treats look a little like they’ve been beaten with a hammer. But if your students all agree they were still delicious, that’s an A+ in my grade book.

pretzel treat - nailed it

If you’d like more laughs visit Robyn at her blog, Hollow Tree Ventures - where the failure is funny, but usually not edible

27 Responses to Pretzel Kiss Candy Treat-tastrophe

1. anna says:

these things are fickle ive made them a lot the kisses dont melt like you think they do, they retain their shape no matter how long you bake them the trick is a 350 oven for about 10 min and then press the m&ms fast

2. Lara says:

I wonder if it’s because they used those holiday kisses that are milk chocolate “hugged in white chocolate”. Since white chocolate has a higher fat content, maybe it melts better.

3. vwolfe says:

i think issues is they used what looks liek the white kisses or hugs as ther were once called which do melt a lot easier than a normal kiss.
    I if you wanted you could probably use melting candies instead it would take alot less time and still give similar effect

4. robyn says:

Great tips, everyone! Thanks for commenting, because even though this not-so-successful attempt was the first time I’d seen this idea, I was thinking of trying it with my kids. I’ll be sure to use your suggestions!

5. maggie says:

I tried doing this with rolos and white chocolate buds.. what a disaster! looked like dog poop baked on to wax paper!

6. Shelley says:

I have made these for years. The kiss is not suppose to melt and start running. It is just suppose to get soft which only takes 3-4 minutes in a 250 degree oven. Take them out of the oven and gentle press the m&m into the kiss. Then i place the whole cookie sheet somewhere cold so the chocolate hardens. Outside works great during the winter.

7. I love the Craft Fail site, and I promise I’m laughing with you, not at you. :) I’ve made these little snacks many times over the years. I think the main problem was not using the Hershey Hugs and instead using the Hershey Kiss. In my past experience the Hugs have always melted very nicely.

8. Gina says:

I make these often and have never had a problem. I put my oven on about 200 or 250 and just watch them…they will still hold their shape but will start to become shiny and a little droopy after about 4 minutes, and then I typically stick an m&m on one of them in the oven to make sure it’s soft all the way through. This Christmas I made some regular and some of the white chocolate with chocolate stripes that are pictured above and those were much more melty! After about 3-4 minutes they had almost completely flattened into a puddle. Still delicious though! I’m not sure what went wrong with yours…especially since they were in for 20 minutes and it should only take 4! They really are simple!

9. Jackie says:

I do these every year but instead of the kisses I use rolos! They are so delicious! They melt so easy and the sweet caramel combined with the pretzel is just perfect.

10. robyn says:

@Jackie, that is the. Best. Idea. Ever! I’m definitely trying them with Rolos, if I can keep myself from eating all the Rolos in the car on the way home from the store.

11. Kat says:

The thing about Hershey kisses is that they dehydrate in the oven and become (delicious) crunchy cookie-like candies. I discovered this years ago because my kids like the chocolate from the middle of snowball cookies, but not the cookie. So I tried just baking Hersey kisses, and voila- it was the texture of freeze dried ice cream. Definitely gotta catch these suckers at just the right time.

12. sophie says:

i don’t use the oven, I just put wax or parchment paper on my microwave plate, microwave for 25-30 seconds and press the MnM on, fast and easy. Slide the wax paper off the plate so it can cool/set on the counter and I can do 15-20 per time.

13. sara niebling says:

These are my favorite thing EVER!!! If you use the melting chips you can find in any craft store or even walmart, they melt in a few mins and taste wonderful!

14. Brandie says:

Hey just wanted to validate what others said. Bake kisses at 300 for 3 minutes or you’ll burn the chocolate – I also make with rolos bake the same – use pecans instead and you’ve got yourself some chocolate turtles – by the way once my guests found the rolo m’s they wont go back to the kisses and m’s – so make plenty!

15. Brandie says:

16. Lisa says:

I actually back at 200 degrees for like 3 minutes. They just need a bit of heat to soften so you can push whatever kind of topping you have down on top. I have made these several times and have not had a problem once; even with Kisses that had a filling. Hope this helps!

17. Lori says:

Use Rolos! Much yummier! Warm in oven for no more than 5 minutes! I make these several times a year… Rolos melt better, stay soft longer, giving you time to push in the m&m. Enjoy!

18. Laurie says:

I make these every year. Kisses won’t melt, but Hershey hugs will – that is what is in the picture. Easy and delicious. If you can find them, the pretzel rings work great because the hug will just fit right inside. I put them in the oven on a very low temp and just watch for them to get melty. Then I take them out and use the back of a spoon to smoosh the hugs down a little and make sure the melted chocolate reaches the edges of the pretzel so when they harden, they won’t fall out. Press an m&m (Reese’s Pieces are awesome too) in, and you’re done.

19. Sarah Turpin says:

I have found that if the kisses are not fresh they do not soften as needed. Also, if you leave them in too long, they will become hard and not allow you to easily push the m&m in. I make them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then I can slide a cookie cooling rack under the parchment paper and put this in the fridge to let them cool and firm up properly. While they are in the fridge, I can make the next batch. I make tons of these every year so I can give some to all of my boys’ teachers and administrators.

20. Kathleen says:

I’ve made these for a number of years in a row and have never had a problem with my kisses melting (white, dark, or milk) until tonight. Good grief! I didn’t know a milk chocolate kiss would just set hard and never melt?!!! They even developed small bubbles and ended up being hard and grainy. I thought something might be wrong with them and was afraid to eat them, until I read some of the other comments. A batch I made with the dark chocolate turned out fine. Now that I need to make a trip to the store for more kisses, I think I’ll try the rolos!

21. Carol Barnett says:

I have made them for years without issue, but this year I have tried 2 different bags of regular milk chocolate kisses, like I always use and they will not melt. Same recipe as always….250 degrees for 4 minutes….Hard as a rock. Turn up the heat (which I know is a bad idea) and they just turn to POWDER! Maybe the kisses are old, but I just purchased them, so it seems odd that would be the case with both bags.

22. Sandra says:

I had the same problem with the kisses turning to powder. I have made these for years. I think the problem is that I made them in my convection oven. I tried a few in my regular gas oven and they turned out perfect.

23. Anastasia says:

I have used milk chocolate Hershey’s kisses for years. I have never had them “fail” like they did this year! 250 for 4-5 minutes should have done the trick; instead, the chocolate seemed to get harder as I turned up the heat to 350 and baked for another 3 minutes. I even tried the toaster oven which has also worked before when I wanted to make a couple dozen. No luck there either: the kissese CRUMBLED. Man, I was mad! Is is possible that Hershey changed the recipe? I wasted a bag of pretzels and a family size bag of kisses. I saved the batch code and date from the package. I will write a letter to Hershey.
    Best to use Rolos and Reeces mini peanut butter cups…

24. Marlene says:

I am so glad I found this site! My granddaughter who is five, was all set to help me make the pretzel, kiss, m&m treats again this year and I had the exact same problem with the kisses turning hard and crumbly. I had NO problem last year. I too thought Hershey’s must have changed something in their recipe. What a great idea Anastasia! We need to contact them. I got the extra large Costco package of Kisses…they have to be fresh…it will be interesting to see if we hear from Hershey’s. I’m contacting now.

25. Aimee says:

I’m guessing that the Hershey Hugs work way better than the Kisses. I’ll have to go to the store and try this. When I used Kisses,they turned out crumby and not good! Darn you Hershey!

26. Becky says:

Just tried to make these with Hershey’s candy kisses and they didn’t melt worth beans, wish I’d thought to look up the recipe before I tried. A friend had given me a little bag of them and they looked so simple, I thought I could wing it. Will try hugs or rolls next time and cut the heat back. I used gluten free pretzels , thinking I was making such a nice little treat for my brother!

27. Gail says:

If the Hershey kisses are not fresh, they will not soften.