The Pintester Takes on Giant Bubbles

I don’t have any kids, but I’m still a sucker for a super-easy, homemade recipe that results in something fun, like giant soap clouds, or BIGASS BUBBLES! Enter the Giant Bubbles pin…

Image from Food.com, user  ~Leslie~

Image from Food.com, user ~Leslie~

What fun! And I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand. Now, you probably all remember that my corn syrup is woefully past its expiration date, but no one died last time I used it, and this recipe isn’t even meant to be eaten, so I figured I was golden.

First I added corn syrup to the water…

IMG_1942

I was a little afraid that the two would not combine as the whole thing began with a solid-ish lump of corn syrup at the bottom of the water, but it all mixed eventually.

IMG_1944

Then I added my dish soap.

IMG_1945

The instructions said to stir gently without creating bubbles, and I almost managed.

IMG_1947

I chanted my usual mantra of “good enough,” and took the whole thing outside to test it out.

For control purposes (since I’m always so scientific), I blew some grocery store bubbles first.

IMG_1964

And then I moved on to my vat of BIGASS BUBBLES.

IMG_1989

Uh… All I can say is, “Womp womp.” (That was a sad trombone noise, in case you didn’t get it.)

I did manage to get a big bubble here and there, but nothing like in the pinned picture. Plus I didn’t have a kid and a dog running around my ankles like maniacs, so I don’t think I had nearly as much fun.

I guess I can’t call this a total fail, but it’s a total disappointment, anyway.

giantbubbles

To see more of Pintester’s tests (most of which are also CraftFails), check out her blog at Pintester.com.

13 Responses to The Pintester Takes on Giant Bubbles

1. vwolfe says:

I think you need a larger Wand ;)

2. Jessica says:

Definitely use a larger wand. The instructions I vaguely remember seeing had you dump the bubble solution into a large, shallow pan, then use a wand made out of s coat hanger bent into a circle with a handle bent up for easier dipping. Sort of like the things that come with Easter egg dying kits. But you’d need a lot of bubble solution for that, I bet.

3. kater says:

Nah, I think the pinned picture is faked! I bet those bubbles are small but in the foreground, and the dad and jubilant child and dog are in the background. Like those commercials where it looks like the car (in the distance) is being stepped on by a giant’s foot (close up to the camera).
    I say be proud of your tiny bubbles!

4. Mia says:

It looks like they’re using a cloth wand. We had these when I was a kid. They were a longish stick (maybe as long as your arm) with a circle of cloth tape, connected to the stick with rings. You dip the circle of cloth tape into the mixture as a strip (so, rings together). You squeeze the excess mix out by running your fingers down the strip. You open the circle up by moving one of the rings down the stick and it creates a smileyface like opening and you drag it through the air creating your bubble.

Wow, that was ridiculously long, but that’s how I remember it.

5. Melissa says:

I had a bubble wand as a kid like the one Mia described. My mom made it. It was cloth tape on a wand with a plastic circle cut out of a bottle as the ring to move on the stick. I think there was a metal washer on the cloth tape too. Also, my mom used glycerin in the bubble solutions instead of corn syrup.

6. Alex says:

I went to this fun/learning place once (I don’t remember what it was called, but something like Fun-torium) and we made giant bubbles. They definitely can be done, but the wands were really big. There was even this contraption that was similar to a guillotine, but made bubbles instead of decapitations.

7. kathy says:

I thought i was going to be so smart telling you that you needed a bigger wand until i scrolled down and read the rest of the comments. LOL

8. Emily says:

How is it that every single thing in the “pintester’s” home is expired? Every time I read one of her posts, it mentions something expired, or out-of-date, or no quite what it should be. Perhaps a clean out and renewal of the cupboards is in order?

9. kelly says:

Definitely need a bigger wand. At the curious kids museum they have a vertical bubble that you can stand in. They used a hula hoop!

10. Pingback: Giant Bubbles | Pintester

11. Jessica says:

I can see the giant wand that he is using. You people are special.

12. Lisa says:

We tried this one ourselves…took the kidlets to the park and set our selves up…..it was a MONUMENTAL FAIL…..the mixture was terrible…we didn’t make ONE bubble….and we had HUGE wands…

13. Annie says:

My dad made bubble solution when I was a kid where you could indeed make giant bubbles and they did not pop easily. His secret was adding a small amount of glycerin. I have no clue if this is advisable–my dad was not the most cautious, responsible man. But it definitely worked. Three foot long bubbles, just floating down the street.