Chocolate Pumpkin Cake – Nailed It

chocolate pumpkin cake

To be honest, when I saw the subject line of this email submission I thought, “Eww, what’s a chocolate pumpkin cake? How could you NOT mess that up?”

Then I opened the email and saw this chocolate pumpkin cake recipe by Country Living, and I thought, “I need one of those beauties for my mouth, right this very second.”

Then I scrolled down and saw the failed version by reader Misty (are you enjoying this play-by-play of my reactions?), and I was suddenly very, very glad that I *didn’t* have the cake right this very second. Not because it looks so awful (although it does), but because I laughed so hard I probably would’ve choked.

chocolate pumpkin cake craftfail

That is, without a doubt, one of the most hilarious and unappetizing craft fails I’ve ever seen. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks a little bit like somebody stuck a pile of dirty orange crayons on top of two small tires, left it out in the sun too long, and then poured Hershey’s syrup on top. Anybody else seeing that?

Not that I wouldn’t eat it anyway – because I would. I’ll eat just about anything with Hershey’s syrup on it. Probably even melted crayon-coated tires.

chocolate pumpkin cake NAILED IT

For more laughs, join Robyn on her blog, Hollow Tree Ventures, where you’ll be happy to know her standards for humor are a lot higher than her standards for what she’s willing to eat.

6 Responses to Chocolate Pumpkin Cake – Nailed It

1. Anna says:

omg,cannot stop laughing! also, the first one is totally worse than looking hard, it’s got that whole deceptively easy looking thing going.

grrr.

2. Honey says:

You still have to cool the cakes before you frost them.

3. nunya says:

my guess is they poured hot ganache over the whole thing…

4. Ashley Beckett says:

I actually cried when I saw this – thanks for making my morning :)

5. Aimee says:

I saw this picture and thought, “What the…?” since I actually own the issue of Southern Living that this recipe is in. Now I’ve had my fair share of disasters in the kitchen, especially in the baking arena, but I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when I saw the picture of Misty’s attempt.

I’ve actually made this exact cake quite successfully for the last couple of years around Thanksgiving, but I realize any of this baking stuff can end up being…temperamental? Anyways, thanks to Misty and you for the laugh!

6. STEPHANI says:

its not hersey’s syrup… I can’t believe anyone would think that. Its ganache, u can tell by looking at it.