Dragonfly Disappointment

Dragonflies Something Sublime

Inspiration is everywhere on the Internet, not just on Pinterest, which is sort of unfortunate for lazy people like me who spend a lot of time at the computer but don’t enjoy feeling compelled to try new stuff every five minutes.

Even Facebook is full of creative and tempting little gems, which is where reader Devin saw a picture of this beaded dragonfly pendant by Something Sublime. She’d only recently started working on wire crafts, but this little sparkling dazzler was irresistible – she just had to give it a try.

A little wire, a few twists, a couple beads, and…

Dragonflies fail

Okay, not exactly like the original. But it is roughly bug-shaped, and she gets points just for actually trying, even if this dragonfly is… a little disappointing.

Dragonflies NAILED IT

Visit Robyn at Hollow Tree Ventures, where she’s so used to failing, it doesn’t even bug her anymore. (Also, she promises not to make any more insect puns.)

9 Responses to Dragonfly Disappointment

1. Saisha says:

I actually like the “fail” more than the inspiration piece. I can’t be the only one.

2. robyn says:

@Saisha, I do like them both! I can tell you for sure, if I tried making this it wouldn’t end up recognizable. ;)

3. Sydney says:

Yeah, I like yours better too. It looks more like summer. :)

4. A great first try! Just goes to show, things are usually not as easy as they look.

5. Jamie Budak says:

I think it looks pretty good too! I’d be happy with it.

6. Devin says:

Oh, thank you all so much! I was so discouraged I didn’t have the heart to try again. Maybe I’ll give it another whirl. =)

7. Awww- Devin, I so love your effort! It looks so eay and I know it WASN’T!! DO give it another whirl!! Make another and show us!

8. Tiffany says:

I actually like the fail better! Anyhow, love this blog… I have been reading the craftfail posts tonight and laughing so hard it has brought me to tears!

9. Karen says:

I actually like your effort. The only suggestion I would make it that the lower wings might look better if they were a little smaller than the top wings. I’d be proud if I were you!