The Pintester Takes on Kitchen Aid Shredded Chicken

Sometimes stuff on Pinterest completely blows my mind when I read it. This is one of those times. Dudes, apparently you can use your Kitchen Aid mixer to shred chicken!

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer mostly to beat eggs and boxes of cake mix together. So I grant you that it’s a little under-utilized in my kitchen. But use it to shred chicken? No way. I set out to try it for myself.

First I boiled some chicken.

IMG_2270

Then, as instructed, I put some of the warm chicken in my mixing bowl. Apparently this does not work if the chicken is cold. (Yeah, I dunno either.)

IMG_2271

I carefully loaded the bowl into the mixer, lowered down the paddle, and turned it on speed 1. (I was being cautious. The instructions said you could use speed 4.)

Before I continue, I feel I should give you a visual of how my kitchen is set up when I have out my mixer. The mixer sits out on the counter like so, a few feet away from the sink.

IMG_2272

This is important for you to know, because the moment I turned on the mixer, one of my chicken breasts went sailing right through the air and landed in my kitchen sink.

IMG_2273

Undaunted, I put it back in the mixer bowl (hey, my sink is clean) and tried again, more carefully this time.

IMG_2274

It was sort of working, except that I was having to play chicken goalie the entire time to keep everything in the bowl. Most stuff stayed in the bowl with my help, but the dog immediately figured out that there was flying meat present and made herself available.

IMG_2275

So, eventually it worked. It took a while on speed 1 with me continually blocking flying chicken…

Guess that makes me a cock-blocker?

chicken

To see more of Pintester’s tests (most of which are also CraftFails), check out her blog at Pintester.com.

16 Responses to The Pintester Takes on Kitchen Aid Shredded Chicken

1. Jessica says:

I’ve done this and it worked pretty well. I didn’t have any flying chicken, but my chicken had been done for a few minutes so maybe it dried off a little bit. I did it on speed two or three, I think. I didn’t read the directions before I started so I just guessed at what I was supposed to be doing, which is always a recipe for success.

2. Kelly says:

I tried this last weekend with some pressure cooked, skinless/boneless. It worked amazingly well with no flying chicken.

3. Tess says:

I’ve done this before with no flying chicken. Not so much a craft “fail” as it is an “incident”.

4. Ashley S says:

I shred my chicken with my kitchenaid all the time. If you have the plastic shield that it came with on, no chicken will fly. I usually do speed 1 to start with them speed it up after it’s broken up a little. It works perfectly!

5. Sarah says:

OMG I laughed so hard at your post! Thanks for that:)
    I’m sure many people have success at it but it was a funny story anyway. I’m sure if you slow cooked your chicken you could shred it in seconds just using forks to avoid flying meat.

6. Jamie Budak says:

I don’t have a stand mixer, but somehow I ended up with 2 food processors. I use the slicing blade dealie to shred meat. It comes out kinda chunky, but I tried the shredder side of the blade once and ended up with some kind of meat paste. Yuck.

7. Jen says:

Your description sounds like exactly what would happen if I did this! (Your kitchen is even set up identically to mine, which is a little creepy). I’d even have the dog there scouting for scraps. Thanks for doing it before me so that I know to assume the position (desperately trying to cover the open parts of the bowl at all times to keep the ingredients in) if I try!

8. Shawna Sanders says:

If you use the lid that comes with the mixer ( at least mine did) it actually works out really well this is how i shred all my chicken now.

9. Andi says:

I’ve used this method several times and am now super bummed I never had flying cock boobs.

I think you, our Pin Goddess have a win and the rest of us disciples are FAIL

10. Pingback: Kitchen Aid Shredded Chicken | Pintester

11. Lori J says:

OMG!!!! LOL!!!! I have to try this. But I will definitely use my shield that came with my mixer. As I have 3dogs that are very quick to get food that is anywhere close to the edge of the counter.LOL thanks for trying it for us.

12. Roxyfur says:

Hilarious. I love the dog showing up. :)

13. Emilie says:

Never had any flying chicken in my experience and I start out on speed 3. This is actually a super easy way to make shredded chicken. No fails here.

14. Susie says:

I cover everything messy with a tea towel before I turn it on including mashed taters. You shouldn’t boil meat unless you are using it for a soup or stew. It makes it dry which is probably why it didn’t shred well. Bake it in the oven and try it again. It works!

15. Kim says:

I despise shredding chicken!!! I guess I should go out and try to buy one of those mixers now…

16. Kat says:

Lol HA! I don’t have a kitchen aid but I wanna try this just to see if I can get flying chicken.