Crunch Un-Wrap

crunch wrap

There are a lot of reasons to love crunch wraps. They’re so tasty. And cheesy. And (obviously) crunchy. And relatively mess-free, since they’re made of food that comes in its own edible pocket.

Yes, that’s right – food that comes in its own edible pocket. Just let that miracle of food technology sink in a little. No more scooping your cheesy beef directly out of the pan with your hands – this is the Modern Age, people.

You know what this means? You can even grab one from the local drive-thru and nosh in your car! But if you enjoy eating inside your house, and knowing where the ingredients in your meal were five minutes before you put them in your mouth, you can also make your own; just follow this simple crunch wrap recipe by Culinary Couture. That’s what reader Leslie did, and I’ll bet it turned out even better than anything you could get at a fast food restaurant. Right?

crunch unwrap

Still tasty? Possibly. Still crunchy? Questionable. Still mess-free? Definitely not. What gives?

I really love crunch wraps and in theory this sounded like such a good idea. I honestly didn’t think anything could go wrong– it all seemed pretty straight forward. But the soft tortilla was much too small for the crunchy tortilla inside. I thought maybe if I cooked it, it would cook shut for some reason. It did not. When I flipped it, it made a huge mess. I ate it anyways and it was DELICIOUS!

crunch wrap unwrapped

Come visit Robyn at Hollow Tree Ventures for more laughs, where her kids are busy making a huge mess whether she flips them upside-down or not.

9 Responses to Crunch Un-Wrap

1. That just goes to show that you should never judge a book by it’s cover, or a crunch wrap by its um…tortilla?

2. tamdoll says:

Oh, I love these crunch wraps, what could go wrong? Now I’m wondering what they use to seal it at the drive thru!! At least it tasted good, that’s what counts.

3. Holly says:

I made them and it worked for me!! I’m usually a fail lol

4. robyn says:

@Holly, I made them too, even though I was sure it would be a disaster. They were AWESOME. I still can’t believe it, frankly.

5. Emilie says:

I’ve made these a few times and they turn out fine. 1) I use shredded chicken (another craft non-fail!) and I usually have to cut an extra tortilla into section to fill in wrap because if I actually want any significant amount of filling in the wrap, the thing won’t close up and seal. The trickiest part is keeping the flaps folded down while you try to get it into the frying pan to brown. Usually I hold the wrap flap-side up and bring the pan upside down to meet it.

6. Pingback: Crunch Un-Wrap | Beautiful Release

7. Jeremy says:

Pan frying these is the worst way to make them. I would never even attempt it. When they make the “real” ones at Taco Bell, the use a press-grill type thing, it’s weighted to hold it shut and it grills it on both sides, thus grilling the tortilla shut. When I make these at home, I use our George Foreman Grill. It works like a dream.

8. Bunny says:

Me and my roommate made these all the time!! We used a george foreman grill thingy. They always turned out great!

9. robyn says:

@Bunny – That’s what I use, too! After writing this post I couldn’t resist trying to make these myself, and they’re already a family favorite. We have them (or a variation) once a week!