Fairy Jar Fake-Out

fairies in a jar

Fairies in a jar? It’s beautiful! It’s magical! It’s enchanting!

It’s fake.

I scoured Pinterest for the original pin, and all I could find were broken links and photos without source credits – that’s never a good sign. Then, in case you still thought maybe the pin was real, just check out the jar itself. Fairy wonderland, Hubble photo of a distant galaxy, or obvious use of Photoshop’s starburst effect? Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. For reference I’ve linked this fairies in a jar tutorial found on kwnr.com, although I doubt it’s the original, it’s just the earliest one I could find before my eyes started bleeding from searching Pinterest so hard. There’s a reason I didn’t become Nancy Drew when I grew up. Namely, because I suck at mysteries.

Anyhow, despite the suspiciously simple tutorial, the lack of sources, and the clearly tweaked photo, the pin lives on. Why?

I think it’s because somewhere deep inside even the biggest skeptic, lives the heart of someone who wants to believe in fairies. Or the heart of someone who wants to keep their kids occupied for half an hour. Either way, lots of people have tried to catch themselves a jar full of glowing pixies.

As Jeannette of Mommy Needs A Martini explains on her blog, she was no exception. She followed the instructions to the letter, while her own sweet little fairy fanatic waited excitedly. So, how do Pinterest’s fairy jars look in real life?

fairy jar fail

If you guessed that they look like Slimer from Ghostbusters threw up in a mason jar, you’re right! But wait, there’s more. Jeannette then tried to make the best of things by following a tip she’d heard – adding a touch of peroxide to the jar was supposed to keep the glow of those smashed-up goopy fairies alive a little longer.

fairy jar epic fail

You’ll have to read Jeannette’s story to find out how her daughter reacted to this gory scene. Priceless. Let’s just say, it’s too bad the original pin is untraceable – I guess they’ll just have to send the poor girl’s therapy bills to Pinterest directly.

fairies in a jar - killed it

For more funny, join Robyn at Hollow Tree Ventures, where the disappointment she creates for her kids doesn’t even glow in the dark.

22 Responses to Fairy Jar Fake-Out

1. OMG This.. and You.. and OMG.. HILARIOUS!!! Thank you for sharing this!!! :)

2. Cat says:

We made these (my boys are freaks about fairies…it’s awesome). We added glitter and they looked pretty cool but leaked all over the place and didn’t last long at all. My hands, however, glowed radioactivity for hours and hours.

3. robyn says:

No, thank YOU for tweeting it to me, @Jeannette – you being hilarious made my job pretty easy. ;)

4. robyn says:

@Cat, those glow sticks never seem like they last very long, even when they haven’t been busted open and poured in a jar. Of course I’m sure it seems like FOREVER when it’s all over your hands!

5. Kimber says:

I guess the old saying “if it seems to good to be true it probably is” sums this up. Only it was waaaaaay too good to be true and in a gooey burnt kind of way. Very funny!

6. Jessica says:

I remember reading once that the “real” fairy jar was made by very carefully painting the inside with sparkly glow in the dark paint, one fleck at a time. I still don’t think you’d get that effect, but I think it would be better than shaken glow stick guts.

7. Becky says:

I saw this pin yesterday and did some research. Found a youtube video and it looked like it worked pretty well. You have to have realistic expectations, of course you are not going to get what’s in the original photo. Using pink or blue or any color other than green or yellow makes it prettier I think.

8. robyn says:

Cool, @Becky! If you think of it, would you mind posting a link to the video here? I saw some of the earlier inspiration photos looked like video stills, but I couldn’t find a vid of it anywhere. Thanks for sharing!

9. Shaleah says:

I too was immediately annoyed by the popular pin, which was clearly photoshopped. I thought adding some white, fine tulle to the jar would be the best way to achieve the ‘floating fairy’ look. They didn’t glow all that long, but it worked pretty well, you can see my experimentation with the jars here (note: I used red netting for visual purposes only) :

10. robyn says:

@Shaleah, those are a-MAZ-ing! Really beautiful, thanks for the idea!

11. Jay says:

I found this video for it on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYwq8tdsew It’s not nearly as impressive as the Photoshopped picture. I like Shaleah’s version way more!

12. robyn says:

Thank you, @Jay!

13. Sydney says:

Maybe it’s because I’m somewhat sleep-deprived at the moment, but I think that the original picture is absolutely hilarious. How could they have possibly passed that off as real?

14. Jay says:

I just looked at the original pictures again and now I think the funniest part is that the lights aren’t even turned off, but the glow sticks are supposedly glowing as well as if they were off.

15. Rae Ann says:

the first pic looked fantastic. but when i got to the last one—OMG—LOL

16. I adore the “Killed It” photo. It wins Pinterest! Ellen

17. robyn says:

@Ellen, it made me snort the first time I saw it. ;)

18. LOL @ “It wins Pinterest” hahahaha

19. Pingback: Make a Fairy Light Jar- that actually works!

20. zoe says:

thats the suckey way to do it. If you paint little dots in a mason jars with glow in the dark paint, its alot better. No killing fairies

21. Ray moody says:

The photo most likely is Photoshop. But if you look the mason jar doesn’t even have a lid on it.

22. Sandy says:

Thank you so much for letting me know thiw was not the project it seemed, my grandson and I were going to attempt this project when he comes over tomorrow. THANKS!