Lightning McQueen Car-ish Crapcakes

lightning-mcqueen-cupcakes

It seems like kids’ birthday parties are getting more elaborate by the minute. For starters, when I was a kid (“Oh great, here goes Grandma with another story about how things were back in the stone ages”) nobody came to your birthday party except for immediate family, and the celebration consisted of a cake and a few presents in the exotic location of your very own dining room. The end. These days, every kid in the school gets an invitation, and every child’s birthday party has a theme. And everyone knows that no birthday party theme is complete without cupcakes that coordinate with the themed paper plates, table decorations, mylar balloons, napkins, cups, hats, party favors, streamers, goodie bags, and hired actor wearing a full-sized character costume.

I did fine without festive party hats, adults in cartoon costumes creep me out, and fewer guests just meant more food for me! Of all the changes to birthday parties through the years, the only things I really wish we’d had back in the stone ages were the fancy cupcakes. Because, OHMYGAWD they’re so cute! These Lightning McQueen cupcakes by Your Children’s Birthday Parties¬†are the perfect treat for any fan of the Pixar movie “Cars,” auto racing enthusiasts in general, or people like me who just enjoy eating windshields made out of white chocolate.

Reader Rae took her cupcake excitement one step further, and actually tried to make some! All she needed was icing, some candies, and about a zillion hours to carefully and slowly decorate a batch of car cakes.

lightening mcqueen cupcake fail

Hey, slow down there – this isn’t a race! Actually, I’d still call this a winner – it might not look like Lightning McQueen, but it’s a first place Mater if I’ve ever seen one!

lightning-mcqueen-cupcakes nailed it

For more funny, join Robyn at Hollow Tree Ventures, where she messes up cupcakes on purpose just so she can eat the evidence before the party.

7 Responses to Lightning McQueen Car-ish Crapcakes

1. Arielle says:

I said to the 3yo, “look!” And he says, “Lightning McQUEEN! And DATS Tow-MOTOR!” (AJ slang for ‘Mater)

2. Cat says:

LOL, these weren’t a half bad effort! But if you hate themed birthday parties, you would HATE the parties I throw for my kids. Rocket birthday cake with sparklers coming out of the back? Check. Googlie eye monster cupcakes with home made royal frosting eyeballs? Check. Coordinating decorations and games? Check check. Mommy who spends WAY too much time in Hobby Lobby and plans and executes for (literally) 2 months in advance? Check and a BIG glass of wine, please! I have done Hungry Caterpillar parties, Thomas the Tank Engine (2), Construction Trucks (2), insects and bugs…I really do like doing it. Not enough to have more kids or anything (that would be cray cray), but two themed birthday parties a year is just right for my creative outlet. Oh, and I agree on the adults in costume at a kid’s party. Totally creepy.

3. robyn says:

@Cat that’s awesome! I’m just totally jealous because I lack the patience and baking skills to pull it off. I couldn’t make a princess cake, but I have been known to make a plain pink cake and then make cake toppers out of wire and beads that look like the Disney princesses, so there’s that. ;)

4. robyn says:

Yes, @Arielle – confirmation!!!

5. Cat says:

LOL, I didn’t say they came out GOOD, just that I like to do it. They were OK. In a mediocre sort of way. OK, the buggie cupcakes were cute and the monster cupcakes had me down right blushing with pride. But the 3D Thomas cakes? (yes, cakes) Pitiful. Just pitiful. My decorations are pathetic (but home made, so that counts, right?) and the games I make are so clearly to save money that it’s almost embarrassing!

Pinterest will kill me yet! But who knows, maybe something will inspire me so poorly that I will be able to submit a craft fail to you one of these day. But, well, my photography skillz seriously suck so probably not. You seriously have me beat there! (And I like the idea of making a beaded princess birthday cake-decorations don’t HAVE to be edible.)

6. robyn says:

@Cat :D Beaded or not, my decorations are rarely edible, so I guess I figured I might as well make them out of something that wouldn’t melt, smear, spoil, burn or do any of the other stuff that food does around me. ;)

7. Megan says:

It looks like it saw itself in the mirror =)