Bye Bye Crocheted Birdie

tweety birds in a jar

These two little love birds sure do look cozy!

They have to stick close together, I guess, since the person who made them is one of the Great Mysteries of the Internet. Far from home (wherever home is – most likely waaaay the heck overseas, if the number of Turkish websites my search uncovered is any indication), these tiny tweeters huddle together on their miniature swing as their photo gets plastered all over Pinterest, without credit and without a helpful tutorial to instruct people how to make their own.

Reader Sher, of DayDreemz.net, was too inspired to let a lack of instructions slow her down, though! Of course, when you make things up as you go along with only a photo as your guide, you often come across some unexpected challenges.

Like how to keep the birds from looking dead, for example.

tweety bird

Oops! How did the original birds stay on their feet? They must not have as much gravity over there in Turkey.

Either that, or they have a lot more hot glue.

tweety birds in a jar killed it

For more laughs join Robyn at Hollow Tree Ventures, where all her attempts at crafting tend to flop over dead.

9 Responses to Bye Bye Crocheted Birdie

1. Emily says:

‘E’s not pinin’! ‘E’s passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! ‘E’s expired and gone to meet ‘is maker! ‘E’s a stiff! Bereft of life, ‘e rests in peace! If you hadn’t nailed ‘im to the perch ‘e’d be pushing up the daisies! ‘Is metabolic processes are now ‘istory! ‘E’s off the twig! ‘E’s kicked the bucket, ‘e’s shuffled off ‘is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin’ choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

2. robyn says:

@Emily THANK YOU!!!!!! I so wanted to make this a whole Monty Python post, but then anyone who hadn’t seen the skit (if there is such a person) wouldn’t get it. Please know that my husband and I giggled about that all day, though. ;)

3. Happy Farm says:

I think she just needs to make some adjustments. The original appears to use a dowel rod which is bigger around than the stick she used. Also, it is hanging from wire, rather than string, so it is more stiff and stable, making it less likely to flip upside down. Alternatively, real bird swings are generally very cheap at any store that has pet supplies.

4. robyn says:

@HappyFarm, this will teach me to really *read* and not just skim – for half a second I thought you were advising her to buy the BIRD at a pet store! lol

5. FatMammie says:

If you look closely at the inspiration photo, you can see that the little birds are stitched to the wires.

6. Lyn says:

FatMammie is right – the wires at the side are holding the birds on because they are poked through the bodies. Also I *think* I see a little bit of hot glue too.

7. Shaina says:

I laughed so hard at this! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that would happen to me!!

8. Silver says:

Its ugly. Even if you can make it correctly, why would you want to?

9. Bonnie Jean says:

Oh my goodness! I can’t stop laughing! That just made my day! Thank you!